add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build Looking for opinions

Tyverus

62 months ago

The ever important list.

Thanks for checking it out, now I'll first start off with my goals/about me then further down go into my thoughts behind each part choice. I'll gladly accept any advice and may question further since this is my first build and need all the information i can get.

About me and my goals: I am currently a college student working from a laptop for limited gaming, and schoolwork but looking to begin streaming and more gaming as soon as some scholarships come in so my budget is around $1200. I'm looking to play on the new set up games such as league of legends, planetside 2, battlefield, and more with reasonable quality/fps while still maintaining a stream. I also want this thing to last awhile so i'm not looking to replace any parts within a year or so of getting it all together. Also not looking to overclock right now or in the foreseeable future since i dont know the details about it besides what i've read, dont know where i'm really starting from so how can i know how much higher i want to go? Maybe in another build says i.

CPU: I've done tons of research, heard many opinions and i believe the $80 more for the i7 is worth it for the longevity, headroom, and peace of mind for my goals as i've heard people say they stream fine with i5's but others calling quality/fps and the like into question. My only concern now is about bottlenecking on the gpu but currently believe i have enough put into the gpu to satisfy both parties.

CPU Cooler: Watched a video of how quiet this thing was and liked the price where the only downside i heard was the look of the fans but i prefer function over form. I also considered the 212 evo which is lower cost but didnt have the push/pull fans standard (iirc)

Motherboard: Read many good things about the H97 specs/price etc, since i'm not looking to overclock it seemed like the easy choice.

Ram: it uses up half the allotted amount for the motherboard so i have room to expand if needed.

SSD: seemed like a good fit after reading about decreased boot times with an SSD

HDD: 1T? sounds good, didnt think there'd be much of a difference between harddrives.

Videocard: Once more back to the goal of streaming, I'm not too sure on this but seems to be one of the better ones yet still reasonably priced (one said "best bang for the buck"). and since I hear that gaming/streaming puts more of a stress on the gpu than the cpu i didnt want to skimp. Hoping this leaves me some headroom though too.

Case: Overall i like the design, i like the ports being ontop instead of the front.

Powersupply: Fully modular should make it easier i hope to keep everything tidy and with instructions, google, and a little bit of luck i should be able to figure out the needed cables for everything without panicking that i have cables unhooked but still attached that need their own space. Also went for the 600W to have plenty of power for this thing.

OS: still in use, same price as 7 and even though 7 is more familiar i read its not getting updates and so for longevitys sake i went with 8.

Thoughts? opinions? thanks again for reading.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would probably trade the ssd for a crucial mx100. You can get the 256gb version for 99.99 currently and it is one of the best ssd's you can get.

You could get the evga acx 970 for $20 less

And also you picked a mini atx motherboard to put in a atx case. I will work, but it will look weird. you can get the atx version of that board for like $5 more.

The rest is pretty good

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

From my newbie perspective I agree lol. If you have time check mine out and tell me what you think: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/RaverWerm/saved/y8Tj4D

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks for the reply! and definitely on the ssd who wouldnt want that deal? and $20 cheaper for the video would balance out the increase on the ssd.

Went ahead and updated it, http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Tyverus/saved/Xvf2FT

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Nice, you should be pretty happy with that!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks again!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube