add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help out with first-time build?

cempwns

63 months ago

I'm completely new to building computers but i was just wondering if this build would work and maybe with osx?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/njDdvK

-The CPU i chose because according to the internet it has high benchmark scores considering it's price. -The CPU cooler i chose simply because it seemed like it would be quieter but i'm not sure if the low RPM will have a significant effect. -The Motherboard i chose because gigabyte should be more compatible with mac osx which i still really hope to have as an option. -The RAM i chose because i THINK 2x4 would be enough, and if not i could just add more later on (I think, i really have no idea what i'm doing). -A 250 gb 840evo because the reviews sounded good and the benchmarks were pretty good. I have an external with 1TB so i didn't think i would need more then 250, is that a good idea? -The video card i chose because it was a relatively cheap card with a gtx780 chipset which i read was pretty good. -The case was basically affordable and looked nice, and i wasn't sure if i could get away with something smaller. If i could get something smaller or cheaper then i definitely would. -The Power supply i chose because i thought that would be enough wattage and it combo'd with my CPU. Was it a bad idea to pick non-modular? -The optical drive i chose because everyone else did and i'm not good with peer-pressure. -The Monitor was cheap for 1920x1080, at least i think so. -The Sound Card i chose because i thought i needed one. -The Wireless network adapter because i wasn't sure if i'd have access to a wired connection. -The Keyboard because i really love the feel of mechanical keyboards and i need something i'm comfortable with for data entry, and this one looks nice.

I need the computer for CAD/CAM and occasional gaming so i think these specs should work fine but i'm not sure if there might be a space or heating issue. Since it's my first time i'm not sure if there's any part that requires a complicated installation. Would the 250gb ssd be enough for all of that? I was also wondering if osx would work on the computer because i could really use the mac os for the quick gestures and studio programs. Would love any advice, criticism or opinions you guys have to offer since i'm basically the newbie here and have no idea what i'm doing. I'm also trying to save money so if you feel there are cheaper alternatives to anything there let me know please. I'm planning on buying everything around the week of black friday when prices should be lower, or maybe a week after if there's no significant change. I've never shopped for parts during a sale so i don't know when the best time would be so any advice there would be greatly appreciated as well.

Just to summarize, would it work with osx, are there any cheaper alternatives, will it fit, is there anything really difficult about the installation?

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Changed the GPU for a GTX 970. Faster and newer for the same money.

Deleted the sound card. You don't need one. Motherboards now come with excellent sound.

Changed your Motherboard for on that is built for reliability only because it sounds like this will double as your work computer. There was nothing wrong with your initial choice, so switch back if you want to save $30.

I have no idea if there will be issues running this hardware with OSX.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $329.97 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler $46.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H-BK ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $85.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $119.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $329.99 @ Amazon
Case Corsair 500R Black ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $79.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Acer H226HQLbid 60Hz 21.5" Monitor $117.00 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TRENDnet TEW-805UB 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $25.92 @ Amazon
Keyboard Thermaltake POSEIDON Z Wired Gaming Keyboard $69.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1432.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-17 00:12 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the help! Yeah this is also my soon to be work computer so with that in mind are there any other improvements worth making in your opinion?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube