add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

PWM Splitters

monkeybars
  • 67 months ago

My case (Corsair 250D) came with two 3-pin (or 4-pin, I don't remember) fans, and my motherboard (MSI H97I AC) only has one SYSFAN header.

Obviously the easy solution is to just get a 2-to-1 splitter, which is fine. But if I want to add more fans to the build, how many fans can I put on the same splitter? And is the 2-to-1 the best choice, or is there a better way? I don't really want to install a drive bay controller -- I took the 5.25" drive bay bracket out of the case -- and I've heard mixed reviews on the NZXT Grid+. Are there any other good options?

Thanks!

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

If your ok with them running full speed, you can also get molex to pwm cables and hook them directly to the power supply.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd rather not -- the quieter it can be, the better.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Then your options are basically either getting a fan controller or using speed reduction cables. I wouldn't try to power more than 2 fans from one motherboard fan header... Might do odd things as its not designed for that kinda load

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

If your electronic savvy, you can also make your own controller for the back panel. Take a molex to pwm cables, then use a pwm 2 way splitter and on each lead you use a potentiometer nob that you mount to a pci back plate. This will allow voltage control of 2 fans for variable speed. They sell single fan versions for $7 and up on newegg, but you can make your own easily for more fans. You can likely fit 4 or 5 knobs on a back plate, then just bundle the cables up nice with zip ties to complete it.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube