add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

hello this is my first computer and id like to have a little input from the community to see if everything i have is good.

kevinpcbuilder

63 months ago

i have been wanting to build a computer for some time now and i got a job (just got out of (highschool) and i wanted to build my own gaming computer. my goal was for 1000 dollars but i went a little over as of now but black friday deals should lower it a bit. this is my computer i want to build. PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8QdQhM Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8QdQhM/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($249.99 @ Micro Center)

Motherboard: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($109.99 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($78.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($99.99 @ NCIX US)

Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($51.99 @ Directron)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 970 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card ($349.99 @ Amazon)

Case: Thermaltake Versa H22 ATX Mid Tower Case ($36.99 @ Directron)

Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($13.99 @ Newegg)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($88.98 @ OutletPC)

Total: $1130.89

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-18 01:29 EST-0500

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DndQhM A i7 isnt needed for gaming. I chose a way better case and a lot easier to install stuff in

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

wouldnt the i7 be better though. also the 240gb solid state? and is the amd compatable with the intel motherboard? also why the different power supply?

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

The i5 and i7 are very close in performance, especially in gaming.

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

wouldnt the i7 be better though

I've only noticed that it really only performs better in things like video rendering and heavy file compression.. maybe a slight bit better in emulations like Dolphin (much better in things like VMware, though). Maybe a very few select games take advantage of the i7's HyperThreading and perform better

(ok, the i7 maybe runs slightly better but not enough to justify the price jump)

but yeah, an i5 will do just fine with gaming (and you save some $70 if you wanna put that elsewhere)

and is the amd compatable with the intel motherboard

RAM is RAM, doesn't matter so long as it's DDR3 and the CPU/board can support the freq it runs at

also why the different power supply?

my guess would be that it's slightly cheaper and semi-modular.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

For a mainstream gaming PC a 120GB SSD should certainly suffice; you should only use a SSD for OS and your favourite programs IMHO.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

While not necessary I find a good rule of thumb with PC building is to have your GPU and motherboard from the same manufacturer. This build should work but if you want to play it safe I recommend you check out this one which I just put together. Good luck!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Also do you think he could invest more on a motherboard..? Maybe only if he wants to OC and upgrade later

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe... I'm going to use the Asus Maximus VII Hero which is amazing but not sure about US pricing. Fair point though

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

yes but the solid state drive is 240 gb its 120 gbs more. and i can understand some of the other changes and i will be changing some.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

ok so i made a few changes http://pcpartpicker.com/p/6ZMWyc

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe the 212 EVO comes with thermal paste and you won't need to buy some yourself, in case you wanted to save $7 :p

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

can you also answer my question about the solid state drive. really appreciate all the help.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I think that may come down to preference.. I know the 840 EVOs/PROs are pretty well renowned and I've seen a couple of builds with the Corsair MX100

If you want to get down to it, I read an article a few hours back about someone who put a couple of SSDs through a benchmark up to ~1.5 petabytes of read/write... Long story short, I believe the 840 lasted much longer (840 pro lasted the entire benchmark, as well as the Kingston HyperX (with compression enabled), but not unscathed) than the Kingston (without compression enabled) but that was after hundreds of terabytes of read/write operations

so unless you plan on moving that much data around, it's really personal choice IMO

EDIT: here's the article, by the way http://techreport.com/review/24841/introducing-the-ssd-endurance-experiment

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

also i appreciate all the help guys thanks.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

i Also got a notice of this "Some Intel Z87 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Haswell Refresh CPUs."(pcpartpicker)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube