add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Gaming PC Built From Scratch $1,500 - $2,000 Budget

ericd91

62 months ago

The Story: Hey there all! I'm in the middle of picking out parts for the first PC that I'll be building from scratch. The previous PC I had was purchased in 2006 and was bought from woot.com. A GTX260 and new power supply later and BAM I had a PC that hadn't begun to show its age much until the last year or two. I'm ready to begin building a new PC and I have a budget between $1,500 and $2,000 to build a machine that'll last me. The majority of what I'll be using this machine for is gaming, including streaming of said games and capturing footage via software. I would prefer to build as close to $1,500 as possible but if I need to drop extra money in order to stay up to date with the newer games that's fine.

The Machine: So far this is my build, including a monitor, headset and keyboard which I'll need in order to use the computer; I already have a mouse I've grown accustom to using for the last few years. The parts I picked out by hand was a i5 quad-core processor since I've never had anything above a duo-core before and my 2.8GHZ processor was the first thing to age rather rapidly. Second of course was the video card, originally I wanted a new and shiny GTX-980 but it was out of my price range for the sort of build I want so after some research I fell onto what I have listed below. All other parts were simply picked by filtering from the best reviewed to the least and picking parts that seemed to be reasonibly priced. I'd love to get feedback and if anyone has suggestions to cut down my price without cutting quality too much I'd love to hear it! I'm most likely going to buy parts on Cyber Monday so thankfully I have a little time to sit down and do some planning.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U9B SE2 37.9 CFM CPU Cooler $49.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $204.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $82.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $78.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card $356.13 @ Newegg
Case Fractal Design Define R4 (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $111.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $184.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer $16.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) -
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $38.88 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1389.92
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 06:09 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

its a really great build dude i cant see a problem with it and it should run like a beast

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input! Glad to hear it. Like I said, in the post I'll wait till Cyber Monday most likely to order. Once it's built I'll be sure to take pictures etc. to show the completed build and how it went. If anyone else has feedback, it'd be appreciated!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would consider looking at the GTX 970 opposed to your 780. I have a 780 that I bought about a year ago and if I could swap it for a 970 I would. They're much cheaper and are better in performance than 780s.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, I appreciate the input; I updated my part list after checking out http://gpuboss.com/gpus/ASUS-GeForce-GTX-970-vs-ASUS-GeForce-GTX-780 .

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube