add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
caddy400ex

63 months ago

Just wanted someone to look this over for anything that I might have missed as far as balance. This build would be for gaming, photo editing, web browsing, recording gameplay and probably some minor video editing. Any thoughts or opinions would be appreciated. I eventually would like to get another monitor but $1900 was my budget and this is pretty close without going over too much. Also from my research this would be able to max out settings @ 1080p unless there is something I missed with this build...am I correct? I already have a logitech g110 and a razer naga epic. Thanks for the help.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/8srgqs

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant Type|Item|Price :----|:----|:---- CPU | Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor | $329.97 @ OutletPC CPU Cooler | Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler | $79.99 @ Newegg Motherboard | Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard | $203.99 @ NCIX US Memory | G.Skill Trident X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory | $157.50 @ Newegg Storage | Samsung 840 Pro Series 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive | $157.99 @ Amazon Video Card | MSI Radeon R9 290X 4GB TWIN FROZR Video Card | $359.99 @ Amazon Case | NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case | $109.99 @ Directron Power Supply | Corsair 760W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply | $184.99 @ Amazon Operating System | Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) | $97.46 @ OutletPC Monitor | BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor | $324.00 @ Newegg | | Total | Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available | $2005.87 | Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-18 09:14 EST-0500 |

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks very nice, gtx 970 is the card to get atm tho if you have the budget, you can do if shuffle a few things around without hurting performance very much.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-nvidia-geforce-gtx-970-review

You prolly don't really need such quick ram, 1600/9 cas is ok for most builds

840 pro isn't really great value, you can get really close performance for ~$70 less, (as per newegg) read/write spec for the 840 pro is 540/520 pny xlr8 is 500/475, near enough that you won't be able to tell the difference I would think

This seasonic x series psu is "only" gold rated but badass enough to squeak (or almost) into platinum rated territory, check out the review of the 650w model at jonnyguru - http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=332

That lets you add a asus strix 970, dunno if that's actually to top brand as I've not read any group test/round-up but it's a popular model I see a lot of people wanna use, total comes in at $1860 now :D

If you wanna spend a little more I'd swap the h100i for a swiftech h220/240-x, it's a crazy awesome pre-built loop made of their custom loop components (top of the line cpu block, brass/copper rad that cools better than an aluminum one, etc, check the reviews for more details), but the killer feature for me is it's expandable so down the road you could get a gpu waterblock and cool the whole thing on it :D (prolly need an extra rad tho) crazy gpu overclock a-hoy! :D

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/swiftech-cpu-cooler-h240x

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $329.97 @ OutletPC
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $79.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $203.99 @ NCIX US
Memory Team Dark Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $134.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $97.79 @ Amazon
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card $347.99 @ Directron
Case NZXT H440 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case $109.99 @ Directron
Power Supply SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $139.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $90.26 @ OutletPC
Monitor BenQ XL2420Z 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $324.00 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1858.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-18 14:56 EST-0500

edit. oh I didn't actually check the prices before hand, that 290x/970 are near enough the same price, lol oh well! :D

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. I figured if I was spending the money on it I wanted to try and make a black and red color scheme. I am a big fan of asus which is one of the reasons I picked that mobo as well as really good reviews. The PSU was picked because of articles I have read and I also like the software that comes with it. I will check out some other ones though that are good rated. Thanks for pointing it out about the storage. I had a 1Tb hdd on there and it seems it disappeared lol. Is the 970 that much better than the 290x? I like prefer amd/ati products over nvidia but the main reason I chose the 290x was because it was cheaper and in the future if I upgrade my gpu I don't have to buy the same exact card because it's crossfire vice sli. I know it won't scale was well having mismatched cards but if I buy a new card in a few years the 290x won't hurt it to have it in there. Thanks for ur suggestions and I'll also check out the asus monitors

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Also I meant radeon/ati. Don't know what I was thinking earlier

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry for the multiple replies, I was on my phone last night and it was 1am so i wasn't all there. I took another look at the build you came up with and it actually looks really great. I will probably go with that one except I might still go with the VII Hero just because I really like the Asus boards over the MSI. It is only a ~$80 difference and even w/ that added you still saved me $50 which goes a long way when I'm trying to convince my wife to let me build this lol. Thanks again for the help.

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah and the board supports 970 so in regards to longevity he can always throw in another 970. he could save cash cutting the i7 to an i5 if price is really tight. also a tip I personally would stay away from the EVGA 970. Lots of people complaining about a coil whine. I do not own one so I am not sure if that is the case or not, but when I was comparing the multiple branded cards this came up quite often regarding the EVGA. The MSI and Asus 970's tend to have much more favor.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh yeah. I am building a rig shortly with one or maybe two 970's so I wanted the best. sounds like everyone prefers the Asus Striks the most.

if you budgeted his parts down you could kick this to SLI which would be fun.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube