add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Can you build a smartphone!???

KleinBloodstar

63 months ago

Hey Guys, I know this is "PCPartPicker" but I was like where better to ask for tech help than here!!!

I want to build my own smartphone, I know this is thought to be practically impossible because of the parts that are so hard to get if your not a phone company.

I however was thinking of bi-passing this by buying or using old phones (and their parts inside).

My main reason for this is to somehow be able to make a phone that is better for a lower cost, and that can run Linux (through like Ubuntu).

I would really appreciate any help you guys can offer!!

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I have heard of people making their own smartphones from parts. Sounds like a fun challenge.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

It does sound fun, but its a challenge alright lol

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Ill be honest, i have never really looked into this but from what i can imagine, it would be rather impossible. As far as i know, there is no third party maker for cellphone parts so the only parts you would be able to get are those from samsung, apple, HTC, etc. But then you would just be making one of their phones and not a custom one. HTC phone parts are not going to fit into a samsung nor an apple and vise versa. If someone has done this or knows a way to do so (other than making all the parts yourself) correct me.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

So I would also have to look into part compatability?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/motorola-project-ara/ and that what called Blocks at the beginning :)

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Really cool idea!! Thanks for the link, I'll definitely check on that more. I however want really a full customization, which I'm staring to see is kind of tough. I was hoping it would be as easy as making your own computer or laptop

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube