add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Jordansmithy6

63 months ago

I'm currently building my pc and I have a Asus Maximus VII hero mobo which came with 4 screws but I'm unsure whether they're the right screws to screw in the mobo to the case. Also when I put the mobo in the case there's only one real place I can put a screw in. Any help would be great, thanks.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Full ATX motherboards should have 9 or 10 screw holes.

Look in your case for threaded holes in the motherboard tray. These often require you to install standoffs into the tray. These enforce a gap between the circuit board and the metal case to prevent shorting, and are removable so that the different screw placements for ATX/uATX/ITX boards don't leave a bit of metal sticking into the circuitry where there isn't a screw hole.

EDIT: make sure you're using the right screws for the standoffs. Case screws are all about the same size, but come in coarse and fine threaded. If you can finger-thread them into the standoffs, you've got the right ones.

Most cases and motherboards both ship with plenty standoffs and screws to mount everything up, so check the hardware bags that came with your case.

Finally, if you have a large CPU cooler that's meant to install using a backing plate, it's will be much easier (or required) to install that before you mount the board inside the case.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Well I'm really stuck I can only find 4 screws and the case only has two standoffs in. I used the four screws to fit my psu. I have small pointy screws in my house but none suitable for building a pc. Please help me hahaha

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Someone please help. If I need screws I don't know what to do with the half built computer laying on my table. Please.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube