add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Server with ESXi compatibility

whisperingsquash

63 months ago

Hi all,

I am attempting a server build that is hopefully mostly compatible with VMware's ESXi. My budget is going to be around $3500. I know I haven't chosen a RAID controller yet, perhaps someone has a good suggestion for me. The specs for cases I have seen do not indicate if I need additional hardware for 8 hot-swapple HDDs. I am going to use WD Red NAS @ 6TB for my storage and eventually fill out to all 8 drives.

Failing ESXi compatibility, I will use a Linux distribution (Debian based) and configure ZFS on these HDDs; therefore I won't need the RAID controller.

Here's the list I have so far: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/whisperingsquash/saved/9w76Mp

Thanks in advance for all suggestions.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Remove the sound card. I am assuming you will be running ESXI with some linux, FreeNAS, and maybe windows server. the GPU is a bit overkill but I think its a good middle ground so that you have the performance if really needed. 1200W is a bit overkill IMO. I have ran 6 drives on my server only using a 400w PSU. rule of thumb is HDD = 10W and thats overkill anyway. you could easily cut down the PSU to save some cash.

something more like this maybe? http://pcpartpicker.com/p/7dNMmG still overkill PSU, but you have it if needed i suppose. if you ever do run a raid card and go with more drives.

another thought. how my co-worker runs his setup is like this ESXI box running with cheap mobo, great CPU, no GPU, SSD. 20 drive Rack Mounted data storage the has an okay CPU, Tons of RAM and it runs Free Nas. this way if ESXI goes down his files are still available via the network since its on freenas.

anyway love seeing people running some server setups don't see them enough here.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube