add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
FuturePCGamer

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/FuturePCGamer/saved/hXnNnQ

First I have some questions that I hope you guys can answer before I build this PC. 1. With this build how far can I overclock my CPU without frying it and having it run fairly cool? 2. Is my case sufficient for all of these parts to be able to have all of the cables not be jumbled together and have adequate airflow throughout the system?

1. Will the hyper 212 evo be able to keep my CPU running cool even under overclocking?

2. Do I need to purchase some case fans to keep the PC cool or is it going to be good on how it is already? If I need to purchase some extra case fans than what should I buy and how many should I buy (not expensive ones please)

All right now onto why I choose these components...

CPU: I chose the i5-4690K because it was only like $220 or something like that, it has gotten great reviews, and it seems like it is perfect for a PC that is solely used for gaming on the latest titles, which my PC will be used for.

CPU Cooler: I chose the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo because it is only like $30 and it also has good reviews.

Motherboard: I chose this mobo because it is under $150 and it has 2 way SLI and Crossfire capability which I plan to use in the future, when I upgrade it in the future at least the video card to a GTX 980 when I need to.

Memory: I went with this RAM because I wanted a single 8GB stick because my mobo supports 32GB of RAM and when I need more RAM I will just have to buy more 8GB sticks. I went with DDR3-1866 because it is faster than lower speed’s of RAM obviously.

Storage: I chose 1TB of storage because that is all I am going to need for now, if I need to store more data than 1TB I can always just go to my local Staples or Wal-Mart and get external hard drives. I chose an HDD because I don’t really need an SSD yet and nothing has really convinced me to get one yet, the complete silence and no moving parts is pretty cool though.

Video Card: I know that I have an i5-4690K and a R9 270x and your probably wondering why. Well I chose the R9 270x over other Nvidia card’s for now because I don’t need to a crazy Nvidia GTX 980 or higher just yet. With the 270x and the 4690K paired together should run the newest PC games like AC Unity, Dragon Age Inquisition, and the upcoming GTA V for PC in 1080P at 60+FPS.

Case: I am hoping that this case is fine with good airflow after it is built if not then give me a suggestion on another case that I should get that is not more than $20 more than my selected case.

PSU: I chose a 600 watt PSU because I am trying to future proof this build and like I previously said is upgrade to a GTX 980 in the future when games demand it and my 270X is outdated or I can crossfire with another 270X. Any suggestions? Plus how does the 270X have a higher TDP than the GTX 980 if the 980 is more powerful?

Operating System: I chose Windows 7 because gaming is better on Windows 7 I have Windows 8 and I don’t like it because my ****** current PC doesn’t have a touch screen monitor, in fact I will be connecting this gaming PC to my TV, until I get enough space to triple monitor or 4K. Where can I get the best deal for Windows 7 Professional or is it even not available to be purchased anymore?

The other stuff is just personal preference that doesn’t have to do with the gaming performance at all. Thanks for taking your time to review my build and any comments, questions, or concerns?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

212 Evo wont give you a huge OC, but maybe up to 4? Don't take my word for that

Please change the blue ram stick to another kind. Maybe g.skill ripjaws?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Crucial RAM is fine.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Nothing wrong with it, I just wanted to suggest it for color scheme purposes

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

oooh, alright.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

To answer your questions, you could probably get about a 0.5Ghz overclock with the Hyper 212 EVO fairly easy, although your results may vary depending on your luck with the silicone chip. The hyper 212 evo is a good budget cooler. The case looks pretty standard for a $50 computer, and will support all your parts. Airflow should be decent for what it is. You probably won't need to purchase more case fans, although I would recommend getting at least one more case fan. Cooler Master has some pretty decent cheap 120mm fans, from what I've heard.

Also, the Seagate Barracuda or Western Digital Caviar Blue are much cheaper than the Seagate you have in now, and have better specs. Save some money, yo.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for answering my questions maybe I should invest in a more expensive cpu cooler that can allow me to oc to like 4.5 ghz or so. Any suggestions?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You'd be looking at a watercooler in the price range of $100+, which probably wouldn't fit inside of the case anyways. Your budget would end up increasing quite a bit if you wanted to overclock by 1.0Ghz while maintaining good temps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube