add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

1st Gaming Build - Opinions Wanted

canri

62 months ago

This is my first gaming build, and let me just say outright that I do not know anything about building a computer.

• I don't plan to overclock as it shortens the lifespan
  • Probably will not SLI in the future

BUT! I am only looking at a few years of life in this computer before it becomes obsolete and I'll have to start over again. So I do want to get the most out of it, but I want it to last more than 2-4 years. If I can overclock it and SLI in the future and it will still last up until that point (2-4 years), then so be it.

I only plan on using this computer for gaming. I play dragon age inquisition, sims 3 & 4, dark souls 1 & 2, skyrim and many more.

So then opinions, comments, advice both needed and wanted! How does this build look? http://pcpartpicker.com/user/canri/saved/fc49TW updated

My budget for a gaming build is $1300, with the monitor included.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, if you ask me, I don't trust ASRock boards... I have had several and they all sucked. I would go with a little more expensive EVGA, MSI or ASUS one. As far as GPU you're solid, but get a 1TB WD or Seagate Barracuda drive, they're like 100$ cheaper...

I don't know that RAM much, so I would go with G.Skill, it's a really trusted brand and you can probably get it for the same price...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Took your advice, switched out the ram, but stuck between these two motherboards Asus Z87-Pro vs MSI Z87-G45 Gaming (although there are newer versions of both MOBOs).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe you should go with the Asus one if you like the design. As far as quality the Asus is slightly better, but the MSI does a good job and beautiful design as well!

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The build was from the $1200 build by manirelli before I took it apart and change things around, but left some things. Basically I wanted a platform. Looking at the Caviar Blue, I'll switch it in. Thank you for mentioning that!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube