add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
SmegGuy

63 months ago

Hey guys, just looking for some opinions for a secret Christmas build for my mom. I want to make a computer that's way more powerful than she really needs so I don't have to replace for quite a while or mess with it at all.

I just need it to do 3 things: 1.Run quick 2.Stay cool 3.Stay quiet

Parts List Link: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SmegGuy/saved/KJpD4D

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

How about something even smaller? :D

v300 ssd had some issues performance issues reported a few months back due to switching nand supplier, I think the other changes are pretty self explanatory

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor $109.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard ECS H81H3-I/HDMI (V1.0) Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $32.99 @ Newegg
Memory Team Zeus Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $69.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.98 @ NCIX US
Case Lian-Li PC-Q11A Mini ITX Tower Case $89.17 @ Mwave
Power Supply SeaSonic 360W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $88.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $610.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 20:31 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for suggestions! I've made an updated post after receiving about all the suggestions I think I'm going to get for now.

Feel free to read it and make any changes you'd like to the updated list I've made.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Alright, thank you both for your feedback, and I have made some changes to the parts list based on your suggestions. I agree that an Intel chip is better efficiency and heat wise compared to an AMD chip, I just wasn't sure which Intel chip would be the best equivalent to the AMD chip I chose. Since you both agreed on that specific chip, it made it easy decide which I should use. I changed mobos for a slightly more expensive, more updated version of the one @blasted posted so I didn't have to update the BIOS and I had USB 3.0 headers to go with my new case. The case had a size restriction width wise, which I wasn't aware of upon my initial post, meaning I couldn't use the Corsair 250d as I would have preferred. I instead went with a Fractal Design Core 1500, giving me the most for my money while still staying within my size requirement.

Once again if you have any suggestions, feel free to post them here.

Updated list: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SmegGuy/saved/KJpD4D

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks ok if the issue with the v300 has been resolved.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have one in my build, and it seems to work okay.

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your feedback! I made a new post regarding some changes I made.

Feel free to read and shoot me some feedback if you think of anything I should change.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube