add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

set me straight, brains of the internet!

jformicola

63 months ago

I'm in over my head here... I realize I'm trying to go about something I know little about and I have little time to research (newishly married and promoted at work, new house, 1 1/2 year old and another a few months away) so please help! I originally set out to simply try and build a new NAS, but now I’m thinking it needs to be a sort of utility machine that can do a bit of everything.

A little background - I purchased a Synology ds213 which I like, but It isn't really powerful enough to transcode (I have all these home videos taken with our iphones, which I’d like to stream to our roku via plex). So my plan is to use the DS213 as an offsite backup device and replace it with the new build (it currently runs 2, 2TB WB RED drives). Here's the thing though, my laptop is near the end of its life and I'm realizing that I want this new system to also be my primary computer, so I’d like it have to the resources to do all the things I want it to. It is therefore unfortunate that I don't really know what resources it takes to do the things I want to do, so I’m hoping that's where you come in :) Here is a list of things I'd like it to do, would you mind looking it over and letting me know what you think?

1. Store/backup all of our photos / home videos and the few movies I’ve made into MKVs in a redundant fashion (I’m thinking FREENAS raidz) a. As for space, I think I want to shoot for 3tb. We have 2tb of total space now and last I’ve checked, we hadn’t yet used 10% of it

2. Stream and transcode aforementioned content via plex

3. Browse the Internet

4. Run windows 7 or 8 if it comes to it a. I’m most comfortable in the windows environment -I was considering trying UBUNTU and using office web apps to do my work tasks (mostly word and excel), but I’m not sure. I can see myself needing to use access for a work project or something, so I want to keep that option open.

That’s what I foresee as the computer’s main tasks. I also, want the computer to last. I’m not one of those types that has to go out and upgrades every couple of years because I get bored and need the latest . So, If I have to spent a little more now to have a machine that runs smoothly and I’m happy with, then so be it. All that said if possible, I’d like to stay at or below 800.

Ok after the suggestions, here is what I have now: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-6700 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $129.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $69.97 @ NCIX US
Memory Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $63.99 @ Amazon
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $81.99 @ Newegg
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.98 @ OutletPC
Case Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $34.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $19.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $612.88
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-21 21:11 EST-0500

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Where we started:

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A8-5500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $88.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory $74.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $54.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.44 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case $69.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $613.37
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 20:58 EST-0500

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

List with SSD and 2TB drives, quiet case, gold PSU, stuck in an optical drive just because, slightly faster RAM, faster processor but same TDP, bit more expensive but still under your budget.

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-6700 3.7GHz Quad-Core Processor $129.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $71.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $65.95 @ Amazon
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $78.99 @ Directron
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $78.99 @ Directron
Case Cooler Master Silencio 352 MicroATX Mini Tower Case $69.99 @ Amazon
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 450W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $59.99 @ Amazon
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $639.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-20 21:55 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks so much!!! How would you recommend setting up the redundancy? I was hoping to have 3tb of storage and make it so that if one drive fails, I don't lose any data.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, sorry, I thought the Synology would be used as your backup.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Understandable :) I like to have something outside the house to back up to as well, In case the house goes up in flames.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

optical drive will come in handy, thanks!!!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Your storage situation is weird. Why are you going with 5400RPM drives instead of 7200RPM, then adding one 500GB 7200RPM drive??? Why not two 2TB 7200RPM drive then add in a SSD...As well as the points made by SPX300.

You can get this http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-ad580kwohjbox for the same price as the CPU you chose.(it's better) Also why pay $75 for 1333Mhz RAM when you can get faster 1600Mhz RAM for less?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hahahah, I don't know, that's why I'm asking for help :) Which 1333mhz ram would you go with?

My thinking behind the drives was that the 4, 1tb drives would be used to setup a raidz setup and the remaining drive could be dedicated to an operating system. I like the idea of a solid state drive for the operating system, I suppose I'll go with that. As for the RPMs I assumed that would save electricity.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

As an owner of a WD Green... don't. I find it good for general storage and such but constant access is a pain and the noise it makes is louder than my WD Black (which goes completely against what it was built for, oddly enough)..

That and 1 TB WD Blue's are $0.01 less and 7200RPM :p

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the heads up! Do you think the 8 GB of ram will be sufficient?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

plenty for what your doing.

As for transcoding with PLEX (if it comes to that), I'd rather make sure the file is in a format that the device you're streaming to can read straight off the bat. No need to tax the system while it streams, IMO. MP4 and MKVs being common for TVs and Blu-ray players, I believe

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks so much!!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Type Item Price
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $159.96
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-21 12:19 EST-0500

Raid 0 these two HDDs, they are 7200RPM, which actually makes a big difference to the 5400RPMs, plus these are much cheaper, and RAID 0 will boost the speed a lot.

Type Item Price
Memory Patriot Viper 3 Low Profile Red 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $69.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $69.99
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-21 12:22 EST-0500

This RAM is essentially two steps above what you have now (And it is cheaper!). Many people recommend 1600 RAM, yet since you have a APU, the 1866 will benefit you.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Great, thanks for your help! I'll go with the RAM :)

If I understand correctly, there is no redundancy in raid 0 though. You've got me thinking I might go with raid 1 and have one drive mirror the other. As long as all the drives don't go at the same time, I should be ok (the two in the new system and the one ore even two off site). I still only end up with 2tbs, but I'm not even close to filling 2tb anyway...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I am sorry, I was referring to RAID 1, I wrote this fast since I was preparing to go hunting

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Nice, yeah the more I think about it, that's seeems like the easiest way to go. Thanks for you help! Now I just have to figure out what operating system to use... and what to implement the raid with...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I think this is a quality build. A little bit more future proofed? Here, take a look for yourself...(I threw in Windows 7 just in-case, windows 8 is mainly for touch screen...and btw, rosewill psu's suck, their capstone series is average - decent at best)

Type Item Price
CPU AMD A10-6800K 4.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $128.99 @ Directron
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-D3H Micro ATX FM2+ Motherboard $74.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.95 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Toshiba Product Series:DT01ACA 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $72.99 @ NCIX US
Case BitFenix Shadow ATX Mid Tower Case $59.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $19.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $88.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $645.84
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-22 21:02 EST-0500
[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey thanks! I was thinking about doing a raid thing here. One of primary goals is to not lose all of the family photos/videos we've been storing...

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube