add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Please review my son's pc build

cornel2014

62 months ago

Hi all, my first post here.

Have been reading a lot on this forum and gaining useful info. I want to help my teenage son build a pc which will primarily be for gaming, 3D rendering/modelling, multi-tasking, office-work and video editing . I myself have not much knowledge about building PCs so seeking info from the knowledgeables. I asked him to short-list various parts which thanks to PcPartPicker are as below:

Would hugely appreciate opinions,advice and recommendation.

CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core (Devils canyon) £233.94

Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX ( LGA1150 socket) £110.39

Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 £61.25 Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 £120.65

Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" SSD £90.00

Hard drive 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM £39.59

Note: Hard drives in a Raid 1 configuration

Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 760 4GB Superclocked ACX £224.11 Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX £293.82 will be running 2 monitors

Case Corsair 450D ATX Mid Tower £90.00

Power Supply SeaSonic 620W ATX £66.78 EVGA 750W ATX12V / EPS12V £77.38

Optical Drive Samsung SN-208DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £14.99

Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) £69.99 Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £72.35

Total: £1206.24

Questions

1. Are there any conflicts / bottlenecks with such a configuration?
  2. What is the reliability of the parts? E.g some people have had issues with the motherboard on Newegg)
  3. Is the power-supply sufficient?
  4. Will the graphics card fit in the case and on the motherboard? 5.Can someone recommend an after-market CPU cooler that will fit in the case and on the motherboard?

Hugely appreciate any help.

Thanks!!!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Welcome to the forum! I recommend: - Unless he is overclocking, a 4790 instead of a 4790k - Try change the GPU to a 770/970. '60 models won't be powerful for too long. - A good rule of thumb is to have the manufacturer of the motherboard and the GPU the same. While not necessary I like to follow this rule, so I recommend getting a Asus GPU instead. All the rest should be fine, but I'll edit this post and add more info later. Good luck!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks Lachlantula for the reply.

My son wants 4790k to overclock. He has also said the 970 is a much better option than 760 and thanks you for the recommendation. Is there a difference between EVGA and ASUS in terms of software eg benchmarking,overclocking;customer support; hardware etc? Whats the reasoning behind your rule of same motherboard and GPU? For now, have changed to EVGA GTX 970 GPU.

Thanks again

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

EVGA vs ASUS: No real difference in performance, overclocking depends on the model you get and your motherboard (I like the Asus ones), EVGA has excellent customer support but Asus' is still very good. There isn't too much of a difference, but really what comes down to is personal preference and the GPU you want. As for the mobo/GPU rule, while not necessary, is something I like to do if you have troubles later on with either of those items (or both!), you will be able to have one-stop shop and Asus/Gigabyte/MSI/whoever will have a good knowledge of their products and wouldn't be able to help you as much is you had a problem with an ASRock motherboard having problems with your GPU. So yeah, while not mandatory, is still something helpful I think. Finally remember water-cooling for heavy overclocking, but good case airflow is a must.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hey, check out this build, it is 200 bucks more but way better. Got you the gtx 970 which is amazing, moreover as your build is majorly for rendering you will need more RAM so I added in more 8 gigs.

I also got you the Hyper 212 evo which is an excellent cooler for its price.

I got you a better PSU with 80+ gold rating.

I changed the os to windows 8.1 as it is better for gaming and you will probably get a free windows 10 update.

Lastly I changed the case to the r4 with window cause its cheaper and still looks good. But its a personal preference so feel free to change.

Hope your son likes the build!

Cheers! http://twitter.com/PC_Building

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor £233.94 @ Aria PC
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £23.54 @ CCL Computers
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £110.39 @ Aria PC
Memory Corsair Vengeance 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £120.65 @ More Computers
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive £90.00 @ Aria PC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.59 @ Amazon UK
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.59 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card £293.82 @ CCL Computers
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case £84.98 @ Novatech
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply £77.38 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer £11.89 @ CCL Computers
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £72.35 @ Aria PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £1198.12
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-21 10:53 GMT+0000
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Good, but how is Windows 8.1 any better for gaming..? Windows 7 supports virtually all games while Windows 8.1 may not support some older games. I personally would wait for Windows 10 to see if you can get the free update (or when they announce it).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yes, some games have HAD issues with windows 8 and 8.1, however most of these games have been patched, or can run in windows 7 compatibility mode just fine.

Windows 8.1 improves performance in some games, eg: Battlefield 4, due to support for DirectX 11.2 and better multi-core utilisation (And Windows 7 might not support DirectX 12 but that is just a speculation).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Cool, thanks for letting me know

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That's a nice build! The motherboard does have good reviews, but sites like new egg will put any product to shame. Usually it's the user which ends up screwing their motherboard, up but sometimes motherboards come dead or broken. No matter which motherboard you pick, someone will find a problem with theirs. Remember: an individual is more likely to post a bad review of a product than a good review. My advice: don't take advice purely from new egg reviews but instead actual reviews from people who know what they're doing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube