add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Thoughts on this build for a first time builder

Buddha8888

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Buddha8888/saved/4sRFf7

I basically just want a "common sense" check on this.

Are there any parts on here that someone with more perspective on the current market would say "Why would you get X when Y is available?" That kind of thing. The goal of the build is like a "Bang For The Buck" thing.

My "goal" would be kind of a multitasking rig (that's why I chose an i7 over an i5). Run WoW or Diablo 3 while having Youtube, Spotify and several browser tabs open at the same time without lag or overheating issues.

Any opinion is helpful just go easy on me! :p

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Save some money and go for the i5-4690k unless you do more than gaming, 4 threads are mostly enough. Also the extra paste is unnecessary, the cooler comes with one.

Otherwise a solid good build +1

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I considered an i5 but I'll be using it for gaming while doing other things. I wanna play WoW (mostly CPU intensive) or Diablo 3, run a browser with several tabs open including youtube AND have a music stream service (Spotify) going all at the same time with no lag. I just feel like an i7 is worth it in that regard but I could be wrong. My dad got a laptop with an i7 and it runs all that stuff like butter, minus the heating issues laptops get (HP Pavillion m7 with an i7 3610QM CPU, FWIW. The thing overheats while Spotify and Diablo 3 are going if that ceiling fan isn't on and I don't tilt it up a it to vent the underside better lol. as for the thermal paste, I've seen several people say that aftermarket paste is worth it compared to what they put on stuff stock, plus it would be my first tube so not a bad idea to have some just in case lol I'm gonna edit my OP to reflect this too. thanks man

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, according to your statement, then you should keep the i7 and the thermal paste

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Ok, cool. Glad to hear I didn't do terrible on my first build plan. Now just to amass the funds to build this thing lol

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I would get a cheaper motherboard and add an SSD. An SSD is a must at this price point. I would not build a PC for myself without a Sold State Drive anymore.

You could go for the MSI gaming motherboard, and a Kingston SSD Now for the same money as the Asus mobo alone. Like this: PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 12g Thermal Paste $16.85 @ NCIX US
Motherboard MSI Z87-G45 Gaming ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $123.68 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $124.99 @ Newegg
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $57.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $69.99 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card $349.89 @ Amazon
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Blue ATX Full Tower Case $109.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair RM 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus BC-12B1ST/BLK/B/AS Blu-Ray Reader, DVD/CD Writer $43.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $88.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1408.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-21 21:22 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Addendum: I would also go with the Asus STRIX GTX 970 over the Gigabyte one. I love Gigabyte products, but I think Asus has them beat on that one.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

any advantages or disadvantages on the MSI motherboard as compared to the ASUS motherboard?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Asus has better general quality on higher end LGA sockets.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I've used both brands often, never had a problem with MSI products. But yeah, naturally a $200+ motherboard is going to be "higher quality." However, I find that most people have no use for the added bells and whistles. For your build, I am 100% positive you'd get a much better improvement from getting an SSD than a higher end mobo. Way more bang for your buck adding an SSD and spending a little less on the mobo, than what you would get from the extra features on the Asus high-end board.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yea i'm inclined to agree about that now I think. I'm not even sure what extra bells and whistles the Asus mobo really even has lol. I picked that board mostly due to the Asus YouTube channel PCDIY having a full build based around it and LinusTechTips spoke pretty well of the series as well.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube