62 months ago
I need some help on this. This is my first build, my budget is less than $1800. Actually it's 2000 but I'm probably going to spend 200 ish on a chromebook. I'm probably going to buy the parts on black friday, so I need advice urgently. I need to build a computer that would hopefully last more than 4 years, here's my objectives:
Run games such as AC Unity, GTA, etc.
Graphics design: Photoshop, Aftereffects, Premier Pro work.
Good for getting stuff done as the MAIN objective is to build a tool for university. And I'll probably have to do programming in uni.
Here are some specific questions regarding parts decision:
1) I'm having a hard time deciding between these 2 models of GTX 970:
Pretty much the same price, one is newer and has higher clock speed but the other one have 3 display ports and 3 fans instead of 2. I'm probably going to use 2 or 3 displays, but I wouldn't be bothered much if I have to get by with 1.
2) Can't choose between these 3 cases.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-case-sgc5000wkwn1 <---- Leaning towards this right now
I need a case that can grant expansion space in the future, the Cooler master case seems the most appealing right now because of the fans. And it looks awesome too. But the other two are less expensive...
3) Power supply dilemma
The 660W is 80+ plat while the 550W is 80+ gold, 660 cost 33 extra dollars. I also have a question, if I overclock the CPU in the future would 550W or 660W be enough?
Some questions: 1) If you have time, please tell me if I chose decent fans. It must be 120mm tho because only those are compatible with the case.
2) Do I need thermal compound and fan controllers? I read that the mother board I chose can let me control fans, how does that work?
3) Do I even have all the parts needed for a computer?
4) Is this build worth the money? If not, cheaper alternatives?
5) Are there any cheaper monitors you'd recommend?
6) How do I cut down the cost of this? Cuz it's like 400 over my budget right now.
7) Are fan filters important? Are they worth buying?
8) When buying the parts, are there discounts for sticking to a retailer, hidden fees or anything I should know? This is my first time so I have no idea what I'm doing.
9) If I want to overclock this, would the fans be enough? The case has 4 stock fans I think.
10) Is this future proof? An estimation on how long it will stay up to date?
Any feedback and advice would be appreciated, as I am noob at this. Thank you for taking your time to view this. :)