add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

4k gaming upgrade in the future.

Zardaer

63 months ago

Hello.

I´m researching parts for a upcoming build of mine. After reading alot of post here and there, I think I have the basic knowledge for my build.

This is the main components for the build.

i7-4970k Z97 gtx 780

My question is. What do I need to make this compatible for 4k gaming in the future? Is it only a 4k monitor or alot more? Or do I have to rethink my whole build?

R:Zardaer

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The 780 is an older card now, I'd only buy one if it was at a very good price. The 970 and 980 are the current ones, both more powerful than a 780.

Gaming at 4k is out of most peoples reach due to the cost, none of these cards are any good at 4k until you start looking at SLI. Don't forget 4k resolution is the equivalent of FOUR 1080p monitors.

The cheapest card that is good at 4k is the Radeon 295x2 (it isn't cheap!), the NVidia option would be 980's in SLI.

Shows performance of different options at 4k - http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/geforce_gtx_980_sli_review,22.html

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the reply and link.

I´ll consider the 980, and perhaps later upgrade with a second 980 card plus monitor if I want 4k.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube