add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Yet another identical $1000 build! Really?!

eyescela

62 months ago

Hello, world!

First of all, sorry for the misleading title. You could probably build the same PC for $1000. I adjusted the prices for my local area.

This is updated part list v.2.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $250.00
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $35.00
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $200.00
Memory Crucial Ballistix Elite 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $95.00
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $85.00
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $85.00
Storage Toshiba 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $85.00
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE Video Card $415.00
Case Corsair Air 540 ATX Mid Tower Case $150.00
Power Supply Corsair CSM 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $100
Total
N.B. Moskow market prices, simplified. $1500.00

It's just a wish list for now since I got myself stuck in the loop of confusion and despair. Anyway.

My questions are simple:

1. Those parts fit together?

2. Are they really?

The challenge is to find a happy medium between the dictatorship of consumers' lust and the empire of greedy PC manufacturers! :D

I appreciate any advice!

//part list v.1 here

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Hey there your build is pretty solid but there maybe a few adjustments you might want to take into a consideration. You have an unocked processor with an H97 chipset although asus has a bios update thatll allow you to overclock. A z97 board would still provide a better overclocking experience. Also you currently have a 290x which is a fantastic card, but for a little more you could buy a gtx 970 which has better performance and a significantly less power draw if that matters to you. Also I have heard that the asus 290x cooler is inadequate due to them just using the same cooler as the 780ti, but that may or may not be true.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Switched motherboard and GPU (+$135). Is it worth it from a performance point of view?

Fun fact: wattage difference between v.1 and v.2 would save me about $60/year, if awake 24/7 with avetage 50% load.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

In the long run I definitely think so the extra overclocking head room might give you the performance you need later Dow the road also the motherboard has sli support if you ever feel the need to sli the 970. The 970s extra performance will definitely be worth it and your saving on your electricity bill and if anything it's newer. Do you just have a preference for gigabyte because there are cheaper z97 boards. If you want you you could change out the 2tb drive and get a 1tb Western digital caviar blue but I don't know your storage needs so you might need those. Also I know you changed ram already but $95 for 8gb ram is still a little pricey. Oh and I never asked what your using this build for.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, man!

Yes, I don't need A-class Z97 board. The integrated audio and associated stuff. I work with the sound and I have all I need. Help me with mobo, please!

PC is for all kinds of stuff. I am trying my best to make all-round build. Not spherical, though.

I don't need so much storage now, but Hitachi HDDs are good. I'm opting for the future!

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like an all around good build but get a Z97 Mobo instead of the H97 as I don't think the one you have lets you overclock and you have an unlocked processor for overclocking

Omnitech_Nz

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

BUMP!

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Do you need two HDDs? Also that RAM is REDICULOUS. Swap it out for something that costs less than half as much.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Swapped the memory; -$40. Thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Still WAYYY to expensive for 8GB of memory. 2400 memory is a waste. Get some 1866 with a CAS latency of 9 or 10, and spend the extra on a bigger SSD. Also, I'd recommend looking at A-Data, Crucial, and G. Skill RAM, as it tends to be less overpriced than corsair.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

lowest local prices; which one should i choose?

2133 cl10 1.65v|ADATA AX3U2133W4G10-DBV-RG   $97

1866 cl9  1.5v |Crucial BLE2CP4G3D1869DE1TX0 $94.5
               |Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9     $96.5

1866 cl10 1.5v |Kingston  HX318C10FK2/8      $87
               |Kingston KHX18C10T2K2/8      $98.5
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Get the crucial kit for $94.5

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

BUMP!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

BUMP!

(I'am going to order it tomorrow. I need an advice on the motherboard. Is there any better choice? Thanks!)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'am looking to swap Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 for Gigabyte GA-Z97X-UD3H (+10$) for the extra safety features. Any other alternatives?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

What is the difference between UD3H rev. 1.0 and 1.1? Can't find anywhere.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube