add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
3smally3

63 months ago

This is my first ever build and i'm relatively clueless on what I'm doing, after spending many hours looking at reviews and recommendations this is what I've come up with http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/3smally3/saved/6Pv2FT. I'm open to criticism on any part, I dont really know what I'm doing.

One thing I was thinking of saving money on was the RAM, I'm not sure whether the one I've picked needs to necessarily be that expensive.

My Case is OK, but I was thinking I could do with something with more cooling, not sure though.

And, finally the CPU cooler seems good but I didn't have a clue with that one.

The rest of the parts seem fine to me but I'd like to have someone who knows what they are talking about have a look. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

The link doesn't seem to work btw. But I guess you mean this build so I'll comment on that. Be careful with the hard drive; Seagate Barracudas are pretty darn unreliable, so if I were you try stick with the WD Black series HDDs instead. No complaints about the SSD though, Samsung 840 EVOs are excellent. That's all you should really need to change. Good luck!

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Motherboard and RAM are overkill, suggested good but cheaper options. Case and CPU cooler are good, don't need extra fans. That is an overpriced GPU, you can get a 280 for a lot less.

Took £100 off the price, if you are happy spending more then I'd consider adding an SSD.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor £74.20 @ Amazon UK
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler £23.54 @ CCL Computers
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard £82.00 @ Amazon UK
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory £68.99 @ Aria PC
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.19 @ Aria PC
Video Card MSI Radeon R9 280 3GB TWIN FROZR Video Card £140.79 @ Ebuyer
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case £43.48 @ Aria PC
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £55.23 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/RSBS DVD/CD Writer £11.89 @ CCL Computers
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £72.35 @ Aria PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £611.66
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-22 23:06 GMT+0000
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The reason I chose the other GPU is it has more in-built Memory (at least I think it does) I wanted to future proof it as much as possible so that's why I went for it. Will this new one run games just as well and last just as long? Or is it in conjunction with my other parts it won't make any difference? I dont mind spending more if the difference is worth it.

The RAM, i'm glad you replaced, I wasn't too sure about that.

As for the motherboard, I went for one that was reported good but as there is no definitive 'Number' to measure them by I wasn't really sure that it was what I needed.

Thanks for the help

P.S. If I install my OS on an SSD will it run faster? cus if so then I will probably do that if I get one.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For the GPU the chipset is more important than the amount of VRAM, the 280 is more powerful than the 270x. Gaming at 1080p doesn't use more than 2GB, so the 3GB with the 280 is more than enough.

For motherboard Asus, Gigabyte and MSI are all top manufacturers, as long as the mobo has the feature set you want you're good.

The standard with an SSD is to get a 120/128GB one with a 1TB HDD as well. Install the OS on the SSD, everything else on the HDD. It improves load time a lot, doesn't really affect gaming performance.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube