add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Wolvenna

63 months ago

Okay so I'm planning on buying the parts for my build next weekend. I've got roughly about $450-500 to spend. The lower the better. So I've been doing a lot of research trying to decide which parts would give me the most bang for my buck.

So this is what I came up with. I'll share a little bit of my thoughts behind why I chose each part. I'd really appreciate thoughts, opinions, improvements, and maybe even similar build ideas.

First things first. I selected certain merchants because I wanted to bundle shipping into as few orders as possible. I don't want to be waiting around for three or more merchants to get things sent and have all different shipping times. So I know I ate a little bit of my budget with shipping costs that could've been avoided by going to a different source. Second, while there are parts that have rebates on them (which I'll take advantage of) I've budgeted according to the price before rebate only. I anticipate the final cost to be slightly lower once I get all the mail-in rebates taken care of.

CPU: I picked the AMD FX-6300 because all my research seems to indicate that it's still one of the best price-to-performance CPUs in my price range. I've also read that it can easily be overclocked to at least 4.0GHz possibly more with the right motherboard and cooler.

CPU Cooler: I chose the Cooler Master Hyper TX3 but I'm still iffy about it. I really want something that's going to help keep the CPU cool while under-load and especially if I end up overclocking.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3. I had several reasons for picking this one. The first was the 990FX chipset. It seems that this chipset should support the Vishera based CPU without any additional tweaking. I also double, and triple, checked and I'm fairly certain this motherboard will be fine if/when I eventually overclock. I also wanted Crossfire support and the USB 3.0 headers.

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 2x4GB DDR3-1600. To be fair I could probably get away with 4GB, but I'm seeing more new PC games with 8GB in the recommended settings so I figured it was worth it and the price per gig at this size is pretty good. I think with two sticks I'll be able to take advantage of the dual-channel memory of the Motherboard as well. This particular brand also has a combo deal with the motherboard, which only sweetened the deal.

Storage: I've already got two 1TB harddrives in my current PC that I'll be pulling out and putting into this new system. My current PC can't take advantage of the SATA 6 speeds on the newer harddrive so it'll be nice to get it into a PC that can use it. My only issue is that my OS is currently loaded onto the slower SATA 3 hard-drive which means that the new PC will be booting from a dinosaur and consequently suffering. Anyone have any tips on how to solve this?

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R7 260X. Again I'm not 100% sold on this. The R7 260X seems to be the best video card that I can currently afford, but if anyone else has any suggestions I'd love to hear them. I wanted a video card that I could potentially crossfire in the future, but there's the distinct possibility that anything I can afford right now will be outdated before I'm ready to purchase a second card. :(

Case: Enermax OSTROG ECA3253-BR. Picked this because it was cheap, offered decent cable management options, seems to have lots of places to mount fans, and had the side window. The window is more of a bonus and not a requirement. Also has a 120mm fan already installed at the back.

Power Supply: Fractal Design FD-PSU-IN2B-650W. I needed something that would give me enough breathing room if I do end up adding a second card. But I'm not sure about the power requirements of both an overclocked CPU and Two Graphics cards so I might have to go for something bigger. Or go with a cheaper 450 or 500w PSU for now and worry about getting a bigger one when/if I get a second graphics card. That might save a little bit of cash for now.

Optical Drive: Another part I'm pulling from my Current PC. This isn't the exact model, but it's similar enough. Simple, no frills optical drive.

Case Fan: Rosewill RFA-80-BL x2. They're only 80mm fans, but they seem to have good reviews. The case has a 120mm fan already, so I thought I'd set that to exhaust and have these on the front and top as intakes? Not sure if that makes a lot of sense.

So I guess what I'm really after is options. I have the option to crossfire if I'm able and the option to overclock if I want. I just want to make sure that this build makes sense and that I'm making the best use of my money here.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $89.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper TX3 54.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $17.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $108.00 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $0.00
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $114.99 @ Newegg
Case Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case $47.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Fractal Design Integra R2 650W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $54.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Case Fan Rosewill RFA-80-BL 33.2 CFM 80mm Fan $3.60 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $486.13
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 00:08 EST-0500

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/BQ4KkL Get the psu soon as possible, its a gold rated 750 watt for $39.99 you cant do better I added a liquid cpu cooler which is better than the one you had since you plan on overclocking. Other than that it looks great

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I actually had that PSU in there originally but had tossed it out because I wanted to save money. Also I think you must've mistyped because it's $59.99 not $39.99.

Your suggestions are great and I can definitely see how they improve the build. However, is a liquid cooler necessary for overclocking?

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

Its not necessary to overclock, get a evo 212 instead if you don't want liquid cooling. Your original cooler is better than stock but I won't recommend overclocking with it.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay so I updated it with the Evo 212 and the Corsair PSU. I'll just have to remember to upgrade that if I want to xfire.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor $89.99 @ Amazon
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $31.92 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $108.00 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $64.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card $114.99 @ Newegg
Case Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case $47.98 @ Newegg
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $49.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $495.06
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 02:17 EST-0500
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh sorry, it's 39 with the rebate. But my budget needs to come out below $500 before rebates.

• 63 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-power-supply-cx500 Its not enough to x fire or sli but its enough for most single video cards

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube