add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
ScottyHoss27

62 months ago

Hey there, I'm building my first gaming rig very soon, and after much research and preparation, the time has come. I will be ordering the parts come black friday/Cyber Monday, and am looking for part suggestions, as I have most of them picked at this time. I plan on using my 1080p TV as a monitor for at least the first 6 months before switching to a 3 monitor setup, and later purchasing another 8GB of ram along with another GTX 970.

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/gMKCgs

If anyone has suggestions for lowering the price without compromising performance (I do plan on overlooking, hence the 4 optional fans and 2 built in) it would be very much appreciated.

I'm looking to substitute the power supply and motherboard specifically for something more cost effective, but capable of SLI and up to 32gb of ram.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You're not going to need 32gb if you're just gaming; even 16gb is still quite a bit for gaming

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $224.99 @ Newegg Canada
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ NCIX
Motherboard MSI Z97-G55 SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $139.99 @ Memory Express
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $81.19 @ DirectCanada
Storage Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $62.99 @ Canada Computers
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $59.89 @ DirectCanada
Video Card Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $369.00 @ Canada Computers
Case Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case $69.98 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply Corsair CX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $74.99 @ NCIX
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $16.95 @ Vuugo
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $107.99 @ NCIX
Case Fan Cooler Master R4-L2R-20AC-GP 69.0 CFM 120mm Fan $6.34 @ DirectCanada
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1263.30
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 13:24 EST-0500

swapped the 256gb SSD for a 120gb OS SSD + 1 TB HHD for everything else. Steam sales and Humble Bundles will eat up space (I've already eaten >1 TB between 2 drives..)

2 x 4gb modules for dual channel speed advantages; can later up to 16gb of you really need it. Alternatively, keep the RAM you've selected if you reaaallly want 32gb later

larger PSU for SLI down the road

less expensive mobo; can still do 32gb

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/yfBsjX - PSU Great PSU for the price IMO. cost a big more but very highly rated. People often try to save on the PSU and you cannot forget it is very important to the system and cutting it short can hurt performance if you are underpowering parts or worse, damage them.

The board is a really good board. can you save cash, yes, but I do not think it is worth it. you will loose mobo features that if you do intend to OC can be pretty nice to have.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube