add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
dthmj

62 months ago

I have a budget of around $1400 - including operating system - but need no monitor, mouse, or keyboard.

I must have a card reader and additional front USB ports - so I added some custom parts for those things. I would really like to "future proof" this PC - so went with the i7 instead of an i5 - not sure if that is warranted.

Some of my questions - do I need more RAM than 8GB? The most current game it's used for right now is Dragon Age: Inquisition - but who knows what will be made in 3 years from now, and I want this PC to still be relevant.

And I'm really not all that sure on how to pick a motherboard.

Is the power supply enough?

I'm not a tinkerer - so will not be overclocking.

Suggestions on changes welcome!

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/LnVrt6

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790 3.6GHz Quad-Core Processor $284.99 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $49.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.98 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $57.99 @ Newegg
Storage Sandisk Solid State Drive 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $129.99 @ NCIX US
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $55.99 @ Best Buy
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card $349.99 @ NCIX US
Case Zalman MS800 Plus ATX Mid Tower Case $96.45 @ NCIX US
Power Supply CoolMax 600W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply $17.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive LG WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer $49.99 @ Micro Center
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $88.98 @ OutletPC
Wireless Network Adapter Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I 802.11a/b/g/n/ac PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $35.71 @ Amazon
Other SABRENT CRW-UINB 68-in-1 USB 2.0 Internal Card Reader w/ USB 2.0 Port supports SDHC/VISTA $10.00
Other Raidmax RX-AU304 3.5" Internal 4-port USB 3.0 Hub $27.00
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1375.04
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 14:02 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Do not buy a Coolmax power supply. Your $1400 dollar rig could go up in smoke, and even if it doesn't your performance will suffer from poor voltage regulation and ripple (supply voltage 'noise').

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/DqqYbv

That's what I'd go with for a $1400 budget. I switched over to the i5, for two reasons. One is I choose the K version so you can overclock, I know you said you're "not a thinker" but with the Asus motherboard I choose for you, it can automatically overclock it for you. So you dont have to worry about anything. I also bumped you up to 16gbs of ram, just for safe keepings. This will just help if you like to play games and tons of google chrome tabs open at the same time. Also upgraded that PSU, that power supply would have most likely broke soon.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

How does the Asus Mobo automatically overlock an unlocked cpu lol.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

They have software that automatically overclock's the cpu to it's highest potential. It gradually keeps on increasing the cpu clock speed until its not stable, then reverts back to a stable speed and runs some tests and then your done.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

What do you mean buy runs some tests, so all of this is done by what, it requires human contact for it to do this i think, aka thinking.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Dude calm down with the spam, and yes it requires minimal thinking. It's not like he has to go into the bios and input the numbers himself, he launches a program and clicks auto overclock basically.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for the updated parts list.

What is the difference between an i5-4690K and the i7-4790? I'm upgrading from a nearly 4 year old i7-960, 6GB RAM, Radeon 6850. Going to the i5 just seems backwards :)

And I'm a girl :) Girls build computers too :)

I also have a second computer that is an i7-2600K/8GB RAM with a GeForce 560 Ti video card - I'm thinking of just upgrading the video card instead of getting an entirely new computer.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube