add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Final Opinions/Advice Before Purchasing

Turner

63 months ago

I'm looking to buy the rest of the parts soon (GPU, Case, and DVD Drive already purchased) for my first Gaming PC, and I'd like any advice you can give. Thanks!

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4440 3.1GHz Quad-Core Processor $168.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $129.99 @ Amazon
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $77.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $53.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card Asus Radeon R9 270 2GB DirectCU II Video Card Purchased For $0.00
Case Antec Three Hundred Illusion ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $0.00
Power Supply Corsair Professional 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer Purchased For $0.00
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $98.98 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $619.42
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-24 21:19 EST-0500

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Since you don't have and Unlocked CPU you could possibly downgrade your MOBO to and Asus H97, the main difference is the overclocking potencial on the CPU and Stock 1600 RAM Speed. You could easily save around 30USD. Other than that.. Nice build :D

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! Appreciate it. I went with a 8350 at first but then decided against it, Intel is better for gaming after all

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

NP ;)

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I do have one question though: how soon do you think I will need to upgrade the GPU, and when I do, would it be better to Crossfire or to just get a better card?

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

It will depend on the games you play... if you want to play AAA Titles from ALL 2015 Max settings i thing you are covered for 2015 but not 2016 tough. And in my experience watching LinusTechTips.. is almost always better a better GPU than dual-triple or Quad Gps as they doesn't scale so good with a few exceptions. :)

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Got it. Thank you so much! <3

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Games. In general they get more FPS and better performance than AMD processors. Additionally, the Visheras focus on good multicore usage, while games only use 2 cores most of the time.

[comment deleted]
  • 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I think you could save about $20 on the RAM if you checked out some of the current sales.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube