add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Price/performance, tri-boot, future overlocking, i7-4790K & GTX 970 on a budget?

dusf

62 months ago

Hi

System is mainly for gaming.

I would also like to tri-boot Linux, Mac OS, and Windows on it. I am still researching if the MSI 970 will work or if I will have to opt for the EVGA for Hackintosh compatibility or even the Zotac for budget constraints. I chose the MSI as most articles I have read put it on top.

I would also like to overlock but it was (and remains) a few hundred over budget so I cut the CPU cooler out. I also switched the 850W PSU for the current. I was going with 850W initially as I might SLI at some point in the future.

What do you think of the components? Are there others you would recommend I use instead? I am unsure about the DDR-3 and PSU.

Also, can you please confirm running the CPU at stock with the stock cooler will not damage it in any way? Maybe there is a cheap cooler you could recommend and I could overclock it? Silent running would be nice but if I am going to pay a lot more for that I should maybe just wait until I have more money some time after Christmas, order the system as is, and run the CPU on stock.

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dusf/saved/nbrwrH

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It has also been put to me the 4970k is overkill for gaming? I have read otherwise elsewhere, can you confirm?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Not so much overkill as "barely any performance gains in gaming for the $100 jump"

Stuff like rendering, though.. It'll definitely show there

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Rendering in games? Say I like to keep bittorrent or something else running in the background while gaming, or I would like my desktop and all programs on it to run very quickly when I alt-tab out, would the 4970K help?

Would you personally go for one?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Like video rendering (or rendering stuff in game engines,).

Say I like to keep bittorrent or something else running in the background while gaming, or I would like my desktop and all programs on it to run very quickly when I alt-tab out, would the 4970K help?

Not to my knowledge, no, not as much as a faster CPU might. Though I really haven't had to do this much as is the advantage with 2+ monitors :p

Also, some things will hang when trying to alt-tab regardless (see Bethesda games or when some games crash/hang in general and the only way to kill them is via Task Manager)

Would you personally go for one?

Considering I do partake in rendering videos, heavy file compression (though 7zip wants more RAM for that.. something I need to do), and a few other tasks that benefit from HyperThreading, yeah; I'd go get one

If I were just gaming? No.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hackintosh's I'm pretty sure are only compatible with SSD's.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I can advise that is not the case. If interested you can view known compatible parts in the buyers guide at tonymac86.com

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for correcting me. Always feel embarrassed by giving inaccurate information...

Now I'm wondering where I got that idea.

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply.

1) I perhaps should not even have mentioned other operating systems as I do not want to throw anyone of advising me on parts.

2) Yes, I have been researching this and it seems the only part that may have a hackintosh issue. There are mixed reports and the only GTX 970 tonymac86.com is recommending in its buyers guide is the EVGA, though again mixed reports on their forums, I am trying to clarify. It may come down where I have to make a choice between the MSI, the best reviewed card I want, with no Mac OS, or running the EVGA GTX 970, or even an older card with Mac OS. If that happens I think I would be better going with the MSI and if support comes along in the future that can be a bonus.

3) Yes, this is true. The 25O SSD should tide me over for now in terms of games and core applications and I have some multi TB HDDs here I could use if needs be. This board supports M.2 SSD, which seem similarly priced, should I order one of those instead of the Samsung EVO?

There is lower and higher frequency RAM, is my selection definitely correct? Also, is the brand the best for the money?

Regarding the PSU I am very unsure about it.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube