add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Looking for opinions/ possible changes

SmackGoneWild

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/WLY6yc

I like the idea of building a machine that I will enjoy for a few years, and then I could just swap out whatever component I feel may be falling behind the curve instead of buying some premade crap like I always have in the past.

Hopefully the parts I have listed give an idea what I'm looking for .....a great CPU and that new 980 looks like something worth checking out, but if I you folks have any ideas or if I may have missed some killer deals on similar performing parts, let's hear it

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

at this point of time why go with the old Z87 and 4770k when you can go with the Z97 and 4790K. The Z97 will give you better upgradability as it will be compatible with coming broadwell chip. Also from the corsair RM series the 750 and 850 watts are made by a different OEM and they are TIER 3 (the rest of RM series is tier 2), get the EVGA G2 750 which is better (tier 1, 10 year warranty and cheaper.) Here is the build with the changes, if you don't like the motherboard feel free to change it. The ram you picked has a latency of 10, I change it for CAS9 (lower is better) and a little cheaper.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $299.98 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H60 54.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $49.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ Newegg
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $139.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 Pro Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $90.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Western Digital WD Purple 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $87.99 @ NCIX US
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Superclocked ACX 2.0 Video Card $564.99 @ SuperBiiz
Case Corsair 400R ATX Mid Tower Case $84.99 @ NCIX US
Power Supply EVGA 750W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $89.99 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Amazon
Keyboard Logitech 920-000914 Wired Slim Keyboard $59.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1571.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 07:07 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would definitely get a z97 motherboard and a newer case (unless your completely certain you want that case). I think the Corsair 450d is worth looking at. That CPU cooler is also a bit old, a newer one is the Corsair H75. This is just my advice, hope it helps.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube