add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$1000 PC | Picking a good Power Supply

Stroganafi

63 months ago

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/kmnkzy

Is the power supply overkill? I was wondering if it would be better to go for a 400W power supply.

Comments

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

Supply is about the minimum you will be fine with (you might get away with 450 but only really with a very, very good quality supply). What's this for? Gaming is better to go for an i5 and a better graphics card, editing/rendering/anything the i7 excels at are perhaps better with 16GB RAM.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

I was planning to use this pc for a combination of programming, gaming, and some video (I'm a CS major in college right now). Is 16Gb really worth it? I currently have a Lenovo y510p with 8Gb RAM and it runs pretty well.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

If your video editing needs are met by 8GB, then sure, stick with that. The motherboard has four DIMM slots, so you can always upgrade to 16 later if you need to.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

That's true. I'll probably end up sticking with 2 x 4GB RAM sticks. I just hope I don't run into any heat issues with the small case.

• 63 months ago
  • 1 point

You could try a Coolermaster N200 for $40, not the quietest case ever but for the size and price has really good cooling.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube