add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First Build, looking for feedback on parts please, especially whether to go AMD or not.

Bmtlegend

62 months ago

Hello there,

This is my first build. Basically forever I've been forced to settle with the worst end of the spectrum when it comes to computers, and being a gamer, you can probably understand why i would want to build my own.

I've been researching parts for a few weeks now, and put together this list: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Bmtlegend/saved/WRjJ7P

I can't help but think that i could have done better with the parts I've picked, but i don't know which parts are good, which brands are reliable (I have a bit of an idea) or whether there are any better options ect, so i thought i'd post here to see if anyone can help and give advice on any better parts to use.

Another issue i have (as with anyone building their own PC for the first time) is whether to go AMD or Intel...the age old dispute. My friend did the same thing and posted his part list on here a few days ago. He went with AMD, and his computer has better specs than mine, and costs about £100 less thanks to the AMD CPU (and his GPU, which i also can't help but think mine is a bit overkill). So, which would you recommend for my price range?

Speaking of price range, the £756 this one costs is pretty much as far as i can get at the moment, which is another reason i'm posting here.

Any help given would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance. =]

Brad.

EDIT: I saved over the part list accidentally, now costs £737, but feel free to keep suggesting improvements if wish =].

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend getting newer gen CPU and GPU, such as the i5 4690k, and go for a r9 290, such as the sapphire tri-x. The on sale for 250 american dollars (not sure how many euros, sorry). They are the best for price performance right now.

I wouldn't recommend a AMD CPU, I had one and the single core performance was not what I wanted. Of course they are eight core, but they are generally not utilized.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks =]. Seems like a good call on both of those. The GPU especially as it wasn't much more expensive and had 2GB more RAM.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You don't need an overclockable CPU for a good gaming rig:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor £130.94 @ Aria PC
Motherboard MSI H97 PC MATE ATX LGA1150 Motherboard £62.75 @ CCL Computers
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £62.40 @ Kustom PCs
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.59 @ Amazon UK
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Twin Frozr V Video Card £267.95 @ Amazon UK
Case Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case £43.48 @ Aria PC
Power Supply Super Flower Golden Green HX 550W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply £60.47 @ Amazon UK
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer £10.46 @ Aria PC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) £72.35 @ Aria PC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £750.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 21:28 GMT+0000
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

What's the reasoning behind the CPU downgrade? I know about the overclocking (i'm assuming that's what the "k" means) but is there a noticeable difference between 3.2 and 3.5 ghz?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You had a 3.4 GHz Ivybridge before, 3.2 GHz haswell is same performance more or less. 4460 vs. stock 4690K, 3.2 vs 3.5, £131 vs. £174, that's about 10% more speed for about 30% more cash. As long as you have a Haswell i5, any more is diminishing returns, and perhaps better spent on graphics card.

(Also that build you have now with the 290, that power supply is not up to the job at all.)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

ah ok. After posting the comment i saved that part list you suggested in the end anyway because i thought i would rather sacrifice 0.2ghz on the processor for an extra 0.14 on the GPU (still don't know if it would make that much difference, but games are obviously more reliant on GPU's than CPU's, so it made sense in my mind.)...and i get windows 8 too.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It's not just the performance, 970 is a desirable card because it has a low TDP (145 watts, compared to 250 watts for GTX770 and R9 290), so can run cool and quiet as well as costing you a tiny bit less to run.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube