add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
FrogSplash9

62 months ago

My first time building a pc, I've only used laptops thus far. Appreciate some input on this build I made looking around here and reddit. My budget is around $700 if there are any changes you would suggest to make it better. The main uses would be for gaming along with streaming videos (Netflix, Youtube, Twitch, etc.).

I would like to play games like Dragon Age, Skyrim, Farcry, and League of Legends at good qualities. I'm not worried about League but would like to know what quality most games would run at with this build with good framerate. Also how would it fare running games that are released in a couple of years?

I have a Sidewinder X4 keyboard, Razer Naga Hex mouse, Asus monitor, and a Sony sound system that I will use for the build. In addition to that, I have a 256GB Samsung SSD in my laptop that I will be using as the main storage in this build with the HDD being used to store movies, music, misc. steam games, etc.

I opted to switch a couple parts that offered rebates to Amazon (for the shipping and to reduce the number of merchants used).

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor $109.99 @ Amazon
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3P ATX AM3+ Motherboard $73.98 @ Newegg
Memory Crucial 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $60.35 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $79.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card $175.91 @ Newegg
Case Thermaltake Versa H21 Window ATX Mid Tower Case $43.55 @ Amazon
Power Supply Corsair Builder 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $29.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $13.99 @ Amazon
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $86.43 @ SuperBiiz
Wireless Network Adapter Rosewill RNX-N180UBE 802.11b/g/n USB 2.0 Wi-Fi Adapter $12.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $674.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-25 23:07 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

get a fully modular psu get 2x4 gb ram for dual channel other than that, pretty good.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Does fully modular psu give any advantages besides cable management? Is the extra price worth the advantages it gives? I found http://pcpartpicker.com/part/ocz-power-supply-oczzt550w that looks pretty good...

Is dual channeling 2x4 gb ram worth the loss of a memory slot if I want to upgrade my ram in the future, or do you think that dual channeling (eventually) 2x8 gb ram in the other 2 slots would be plenty?

Thanks for your reply and feedback!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Also, do mobos come with vga/dvi/hdmi ports? It says the gpu has one. Would I hook my sound system to hdmi in mobo and monitor to vga? Or is it possible to plug one in mobo hdmi and one in gpu hdmi?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I did some research and found the following: I can connect my sound system to the hdmi port in th graphics card and then connect my monitor using a DVI-D single link cable to the DVI-I dual link port in the graphics card.

Does that sound right?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube