add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
StryderXCVI

62 months ago

I have my own opinions on these two builds, and I can honestly see which one would be better, but I had a few questions about the builds.

First off, this is my current build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/StryderXCVI/saved/4gxTwP

I originally had an i5-4670k with a H87 Gigabyte board, but sold it to a friend and ended up with a FX-6300 and ASUS 990FX board, and now I am selling pretty much my whole PC to my friend, the only thing that I (may) not sell is my R9 290, depending on the R9 300 series from AMD. I already have a few people offering $200 for it.

Now, here is my first option, a full AMD build (I like AMD more than nVIDIA and Intel, not as performers, but as a company and the things they do for the tech industry): http://pcpartpicker.com/user/StryderXCVI/saved/rp49TW Question about this build: Will the Corsair RM850 be enough to handle 2 290s and an overclocked FX-8350? I think it should fair well, but I'm a tad bit worried. Another thing I have a question about is if an FX-8350 can handle 2 290s, as my FX-6300 overclocked can barely handle a single one, granted I'm only up to 3.9Ghz, as I only spent 10 minutes overclocking it.

My second build option, which I honestly see as the better purchase, but as I said I lean more towards AMD for their business practices, is this one: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/f7d4Jx I know the i7 would stomp the FX-8350, and I don't exactly need the MSI board, I could do a Z97 ASUS Maximus VII Hero, but I wanted the integrated wi-fi. The cost would only be about $150-250 more for the i7 build, but it IS extra money, and all I really do is play games, and do coding but you can do that on a 14 year old PC if you want. I was interested in Twitch streaming and making YouTube videos, but I think the FX-8350 would do fairly well in that. I'm a college student, and the only reason I have the money for doing this build right now is because I'm getting the new NZXT Phantom 530 and NZXT Kraken X61 from parents for Christmas, an SSD from girlfriend, and friend is buying the PC I have now. Then my birthday is in January. I would have all the money for either builds, only about $150 would come out of my own pocket for the i7 build, but like I said, college student, and I don't know if I'd use all that power. I would be upgrading my build whenever AMD releases their next processors and getting their highest-end one, but if I go i7-4790k I'm not upgrading for 4-5 years CPU-wise. I was also going to switch over to nVIDIA if I were to go to Intel and someone buy my 290, just so I could get nVIDIA GameWorks effects in The Witcher 3 and other upcoming games, which I'm looking forward to.

Thank you for taking the time to read, and leave your opinions!

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube