add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Will SSD and HDD fit in Fractal Design Node 605 SLI?

dusf

61 months ago

I would like to fit two MSI GTX 970s in a Fractal Design Node 605 in SLI. To do this I have read I will need to remove all the hard drive bays. Will I still be able to fit a single SSD and a single 3.5" HDD somewhere in the case? Is there a good and safe way to secure them, perhaps I could buy some sort of mount I could stick to the side of the inside of the case somewhere?

Comments

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

It looks like all of the MSI cards are under 270mm so yes, it should be possible. You will need to remove one cage, make sure the hardrive is installed in the spot next to the wall and you will need to make sure your motherboard lets you put the cards in the top 4 slots (some motherboards have a 1x pci in the first slot or 2 1x pcie slots between the first and second 16x slot, either of these situations would cause your lower card to spill into the 5th slot)

The relevant specs on the case: -180 mm with both hard drive cages mounted -255 mm with one hard drive cage mounted -290 mm in the top two ATX expansion card slots with two hard drive cages mounted -280 mm in the top four ATX expansion card slots with one hard drive cage mounted, containing one 3.5" HDD and one 2.5" SSD

That last line is the key.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the reply, it helps a lot!

I am not sure exactly how to check if the card slots are as you suggest.

The motherboard I was going to order is the Gigabyte GA-Z97MX-Gaming. Can you please help me determine if it will suit?

I am going with Micro ITX so I can install a slimline optical drive at some point.

The remaining SSL capable Z97 Micro ATX boards are:

MSI Z97M Gaming

ASRock Z97M OC Formula

Asus GRYPHON Z97 ARMOR EDITION

Asus MAXIMUS VII GENE

Though I am on a budget.

I saw another Node 605 build where someone ordered three additional Fractal fans. Do I need these? I want to order in the next few days but I cannot afford the Noctua 12 LP so I will not be overclocking until I can order the cooler so separately later in the month or after Christmas.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

That board looks like the slots are in the right place, the build should work.

It will be pretty tight though and you will have to do some very careful cable routing, I also suspect that you will need to mount the SSD so the ports face the power supply, not the motherboard as the graphics cards will be sticking under the white bracket holding the hard drive cages.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Noted regarding the SSD. Do you think it has as good a chance as any other I mentioned? If not I'd be happy to consider another board, even an ATX though I would need to know I could fit a slimline Bluray drive in future. I have read it can be fit even with some full ATX boards but it was not clear which. I was originally going for an Asrock Extreme 4.

Here is the build as it stands: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/dusf/saved/Cp49TW

Ordering from hardwareversand.de the total is about €1060, without the cooler, which will have to wait until next month or after Christmas when I can afford it! I will not overclock until I have the cooler :)

I saw another build on this website where someone ordered three extra Fractal fans for the same case. I will not add the second GTX 970 for a few months. Do I need extra fans, with and without overclocking, with and without the second card in SLI?

I have a toolbox with many tools and some very small cable ties but do I need anything extra like thermal paste, for stock cooler and aftermarket? Would some sort of shrink wrap to keep bunches of cables together help? It's my first build and I'm a bit daunted by it.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

The first board you picked has the best chance of working. I would stick with an mATX board to be safe, the full ATX ones are more likely to put the graphics cards in the wrong spot and interfere with the BlueRay drive.

With two cards in there it could get warm so I would consider more fans when you install the second card, if you overclock I would say definitely get more.

You shouldn't need much of anything else, all stock coolers and almost all aftermarket ones come with thermal paste pre-applied. This means you can install each once without buying any more thermal paste.

• 61 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, I am really looking forward to the build which I will document on this website with pictures, look out for it! :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube