add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions for gaming / 3d modelling build!

debs083

62 months ago

Hello all! I'd greatly appreciate opinions on this build, it's the first time I will order computer parts online so I'm a tad hesitant (mainly because I live outside the US and RMAs might be a hassle) On the same note, I live in Costa Rica, a tropical country, sometimes it gets quite hot and humid here. So cooling is specially important for me, hence why I'm willing to pay the extra $50 for the golden edition of the 970x GPU because is has a copper heatsink. Do you guys think this is a good move, or should I invest on some more fans or other way of cooling?

I'm a digital arts student, so apart from my gaming interests I'm aiming for good render times in 3D and design applications like Maya and Aftereffects. Nothing too fancy like a dedicated workstation with those Quadro GPUs, but still good and acceptable for a student and a gamer. Is this RAM memory adequate for these purposes?

Also, I have assembled PCs before but never applied an aftermarket cooler, and I was recommended the H100i for this CPU. For this I also need to get thermal paste, thermal material remover and a surface purifier, right?

My budget is of about $1600.

Thank you very much in advance for anyone who can help me out with this! And sorry if my questions may seem silly, I'm not too experienced in this yet.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core Processor $282.98 @ NCIX US
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $79.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard $169.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory G.Skill Sniper Gaming Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $159.98 @ OutletPC
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $98.98 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $406.13 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro - 64-bit (OEM) (64-bit) $129.94 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1596.46
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-26 20:32 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

this is a nice machine. I don't think the GTX 970 gaming edition from msi is going to give you problems, just try to have a good airflow inside the case. If you can afford to pay the extra cash for the golden edition then go for it.

16 gigs of ram is good but many applications can still benefit from more. I would get 16 and later on if you need more buy an identical KIT.

The corsair H100i comes with preapplied thermal paste (shin etsu which is VERY good) so no need to buy thermal paste. If you removed the H100 pump from the cpu, then you would have to clean with alcohol and applied thermal paste. When you install the pump to the cpu don't remove it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you very much for your reply and advice! Does this mean that when I remove the stock heatsink in the CPU to replace it with the H100i, I don't have to remove the paste already there?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I just notice that the 9590 you are buying already comes with a liquid cooling kit. You don't need the H100i. The cpu never comes with a cooler install. Whenever you remove a heatsink YOU HAVE to clean the paste and put some new thermal paste ALWAYS.

If you're getting the H100i, then get this 9590 which doesn't come with a liquid cooling kit

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/amd-cpu-fd9590fhhkwof

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Got it, thank you very much! I feel more confident in ordering this build now. Cheers!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

one last thing. Get 1866 ram with a lower cas 9 which is better. Have you seen the asus rog motherboard, its pretty amazing. saving some money on other parts you are able to get it.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/CROSSHAIR_V_FORMULAZ/

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU AMD FX-9590 4.7GHz 8-Core OEM/Tray Processor $199.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $79.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboard $204.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $153.99 @ Newegg
Storage Crucial MX100 256GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $98.98 @ SuperBiiz
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $406.13 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced ATX Full Tower Case $99.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply $119.99 @ NCIX US
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8 (OEM) (64-bit) $82.85 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1477.39
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 12:58 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

After reading some reviews and comparing both mobos, the one you just recommended seems to blow the Sabertooth out of the water! I added it along with the 9 cas latency RAM and with the black friday offers I'm able to afford them. Thank you again man, you've been very helpful!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube