add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Gaming Desktop, $1000-$1500 CAD

IcedT3023

62 months ago

This is my first time looking at building my own machine, so I'm still trying to figure everything out here, and any comments are greatly appreciated. I'm primarily going to be using this for gaming and streaming video, and I want to be able to play everything on the highest settings (I've been dealing with having to set all my games to the lowest settings on my 5-year-old Dell, and I'm getting really sick of that). Budget is up to $1500, but I'd prefer to stay closer to $1000 CAD.

Here's what I've got so far: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/IcedT3023/saved/7bzH99

Given that I don't really know what I'm doing, I have no idea if this is overkill or not. I don't know enough to be willing to mess with overclocking, so if you guys could make some suggestions on how I could make this a bit more reasonable, I'd really appreciate it. I already have a monitor, keyboard, and mouse.

Thanks!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points
  • When not overclocking you are fine with the included Intel cooler
  • Added better motherboard, H97 when not overclocking
  • You don't need a case that big, suggested smaller one
  • 750W PSU overkill, 550W is plenty
  • That wireless adaptor is really overpriced, changed to a more reasonable one
  • Changed memory, SSD and optical drive to cheaper equivalents

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $204.95 @ Vuugo
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-H97-GAMING 3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $119.98 @ Newegg Canada
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $79.98 @ DirectCanada
Storage Sandisk Ultra II 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $110.98 @ Newegg Canada
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $57.99 @ Canada Computers
Video Card Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card $398.75 @ Vuugo
Case Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower Case $99.98 @ Newegg Canada
Power Supply XFX 550W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $57.98 @ NCIX
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $17.09 @ DirectCanada
Operating System Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) $96.98 @ DirectCanada
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $36.99 @ NCIX
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1281.65
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 10:51 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Are there any advantages to going with a slightly bigger PSU? How's this build look: http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/IcedT3023/saved/LhNBD3

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

For the setup you are looking at a 500w PSU would do the job, I suggested 550w simply because that was a quality unit at a good price, the one you have now is also a quality unit. The advantage of a larger PSU is greater flexibility with future upgrades, the disadvatage is price.

Looks a good build.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah that's what I figured. The main obstacle to me just upgrading my video card right now is the PSU, so I wanted to avoid that in the future. Thanks for your help!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Getting an ac adapter is way overkill, you can bump down the PSU power to 600ish, and you are fine with an overclocked CPU with that cooler @ 4.4GHz. If you have the money don't hesitate getting a K-series.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube