add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First build. Feedback appreciated.

kuribons

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jfzYwP

Like i said it's my first PC build. Using it mostly for gaming and i'd like some feedback before i finally commit to it.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Certainly a bit overkill, you can save quite a couple of bucks here and there:

You shouldn't note any difference between an i7 and an i5, unless you have reasons for getting an extra 4 threads. I5-4690K is mostly the way to go nowadays.

16GB RAM is definitely overkill. I'd rather recommend going for 2x4 then upgrading to a final configuration of 4x4. Again, if you have a good reason needing 16GB RAM, don't go for it.

Since you are fetching a 500GB 840 EVO, I'd like to suggest a 850 PRO for you, and 250GB is plenty enough for SSD.

The GTX980 have a poor price-performance relation compared to GTX970, and the ddifference won't compare to 200 dollars you might be saving on. Go for 980 if you consider 4K only. Ah, and also, get away from EVGA cards, those before revision (which isn't your case) were known for not having good contact between cooler and the GPU, and they are loud compared to other brandings.

That's a huge case you've got there, you can consider going mid towers, they are much cheaper and they have more variety.

that PSU is way overkill. Even if you go 3way with 980s, you won't need more than 1000W, and speaking of 2 way 750W is enough. We are talking Maxwell here, TDPs are extremely low :D.

You could consider something like PCI-e WLAN cards, that's your choice though.

everything else is nicely chosen, that's a nice monster created by you. Have fun, and don't let it lay eggs :P

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube