add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

LAST MINUTE CHANGES!!! $1000 Gaming/Video Editing/Streaming Build! URGENT!!!

ShrekAndSanic

62 months ago

This is my final day of deciding what I want in my build before I give my parents my Christmas list. Here's what I have:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor $249.99 @ Micro Center
CPU Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler $29.98 @ OutletPC
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-SLI ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $88.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $56.99 @ Newegg
Storage PNY XLR8 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $59.99 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $48.49 @ OutletPC
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 290 4GB PCS+ Video Card $209.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master N600 Windowed ATX Mid Tower Case $49.99 @ Newegg
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $49.98 @ NCIX US
Optical Drive Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer $14.98 @ OutletPC
Monitor Samsung S22C300H 21.5" Monitor $109.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WN881ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $17.09 @ OutletPC
Keyboard Cooler Master CM Storm Devastator Gaming Bundle Wired Gaming Keyboard w/Optical Mouse $29.95 @ Amazon
Speakers Genius SP-S110 1W 2ch Speakers $10.49 @ Mwave
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1026.89
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-27 17:26 EST-0500

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Instead of 212 Plus get the EVO, everything else seems alright to me.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I have been going back and forth on that. Well thanks for telling me that.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

212 EVO is the newer version compared to 212 Plus, the contact surfaces are different, favouring EVO in this case.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

And the list I have now should be perfect to go. Did what everyone asked me to do and I like what I have on it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Grab a SeaGate barracuda 1 tb HDD with SATA 6

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

They are like 99999% better

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Nah. The Caviar Blue is fine. It's SATA 6 too...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh ok I have just had 3 fail on me in 1 month... wasnt even doing anything crazy...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Your GPU will bottleneck your CPU so you can drop down to an i5, and if this is for a Christmas list to your parents, they might not be up to picking up the processor from Micro Center because it's in store only anyways.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Should I up my GPU to an R9 290 at least since I want to keep the i7?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The GPU won't bottleneck the CPU, it's just you will stay with 4 threads sitting there doing nothing, so you could downgrade the price to an i5. Most games are still single threaded yet.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

And like I said in the title of this, I also want to do video editing and livestreaming too. The i7's hyperthreading should help me render videos faster.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

In that case, you should up your GPU to a 290 or 970 (to help with render times). Sorry for completely missing that.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It's fine. The 290 isn't that much more than the 280x, so I'll switch that out real fast.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't understand how the GPU won't be bottlenecking the CPU, when it's going to be the limiting factor to better performance. That processor is enough for dual 980s, so what's the point of it for a 280? Of course now he's upgrading, but I'd like to know why you don't feel the original is a bottleneck.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It has a point because he might be using other applications that are CPU intensive (for example rendering with something incompatible with GPU rendering). Bottlenecking is when one component is severely restraining the other because it can't keep up. An i5 can keep up with 280X, and the other way is the same.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I switched the 280x out and adjusted some other things.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You are not overclocking right you have all of the parts to do it except for a good psu

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I am trying to switch that out too since I will probably do a small overclock to maybe 4.4GHz - 4.6 maybe.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Try a Supernova nex from evga 750w

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, forgot something, R9 290s are known for munching lots and lots of power, something better might be appropriate. I myself use the CXM series and it's never given me any trouble, and the trouble I find is always related to my 0.1% worst batch of CPU (after troubleshooting ofc)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I do want to keep the wattage down as much as I can. I know the GTX 770 is similar to it and it consumes less power.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

770s are out of production and being superseded by 970s, so keep that in mind.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I know.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube