add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Which one of the three? Would you make any changes?

dougwicker

62 months ago

Anyone got any suggestions for a build on a budget of around £700/$1100?? (tower only) I live in the UK and although I know a decent chunk about computers, i'm not that familiar with gaming builds and i'm a bit daunted by the vast quantities of options. I want to get the best for my budget and a decent computer that will play most of the relatively demanding games at a good fps (60+ at least) on high visual settings at least. I already have a mouse, keyboard, two monitors and Windows 8.1.

These are the suggestions I have had so far, any comments or recommendations would be great.

£740 - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dougwicker/saved/8N49TW

£700 - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dougwicker/saved/cwJNnQ

£660 - http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/dougwicker/saved/Yr8xFT

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would go with build 2. Build 1 has an older Z87 and an inferior gpu. For gaming the i5 is better than the FX-8350. Maybe for other applications the FX would be a better option. Here is a build with a non overclockable (non-K) i5.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor £162.00 @ Amazon UK
Motherboard ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard £78.72 @ Amazon UK
Memory Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory £61.25 @ CCL Computers
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive £39.59 @ Amazon UK
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card £259.98 @ Scan.co.uk
Case Thermaltake Core V1 Mini ITX Tower Case £33.05 @ CCL Computers
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply £55.23 @ Amazon UK
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available £689.82
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 11:52 GMT+0000
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Would over-clocking be possible on this build? Although would I need it? I don't know how much of a difference it would make?

Thank you for your suggestions

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

no, its in my comment (non-overclockable), to overclock you need a Z motherboard like the Z97 and a k cpu. For a non overclockable system you would go with an H97 and a non-k cpu. The non k does have a turbo and at stock speed they will perform the same. As I said before if you want to overclock go with build 2.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The middle 970 build looks the best to me. Why does the 770 cost more than the 970?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube