add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Advice for my first build

Jamiecott

62 months ago

Hi everyone

I'm currently looking at building my first computer. It'll primarily be used for university and some gaming. I'm looking to get decent general and gaming performance with upgrade potential and am planning to overclock the CPU. Does anyone have any advice regarding the following build I put together?

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/Jamiecott/saved/dvFYcf

Thanks in Advance!

Note: I live in South Africa and will probably buy most part through takealot.com, so prices will generally be higher than in the US.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hello! I would say swap out the GTX 660 for an R9 270 or 270X if they're cheaper or only just a little bit more expensive since they perform similarly if not better than the GTX 660. Other than that, I would say if you can, try to get a set of 2x4GB of cas9 1.5v 1600MHz RAM, as they tend to run better in dual channel than two seperate 4GB sticks.

I would not get a PSU from Gigabyte since they aren't known for their PSU's; instead I would swap for EVGA NEX series or Seasonic or Antec. Even Corsair would be a safer bet. I just don't want your PC to catch on fire.

1TB 7200RPM HDD's cost around the same as a 500GB, so I would highly suggest you get one of those instead. WD, Hitachi, Seagate would do fine.

For the monitor: If you plan on playing first person shooters, you'll want as low latency as possible (like 1-2ms), while MMORPG's can deal with a little higher latency. It's a great every-day use monitor though!

I hope this helps and good luck in your endeavors!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the pointers! I made some modifications according to your advice, unfortunately, the R9 series are quite a bit more expensive so I stuck with the gtx 660. When I finish the build I'll post it. Thanks again!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube