add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

My (Eventual) Gaming PC

teetar

62 months ago

Hello, I've been looking to make a better PC for years. Black Friday has come around and I've finally started. Here's the parts I've decided on:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ Newegg
CPU Cooler Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler $75.99 @ NCIX US
Motherboard Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $124.99 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $109.00 @ Amazon
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $49.99 @ Amazon
Video Card PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card $129.99 @ Newegg
Case Cooler Master Storm Stryker (White) ATX Full Tower Case $169.98 @ SuperBiiz
Power Supply EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $44.99 @ Newegg
Optical Drive Lite-On IHAS324-07 DVD/CD Writer $19.98 @ OutletPC
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) $84.15 @ SuperBiiz
Monitor Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor $219.99 @ Newegg
Wireless Network Adapter TP-Link TL-WDN4800 802.11a/b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter $34.00 @ SuperBiiz
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Wired Gaming Keyboard $129.95 @ Amazon
Mouse Etekcity Scroll X1 M555 Wired Optical Mouse $16.98 @ Amazon
Headphones Logitech G930 7.1 Channel Headset $69.99 @ Amazon
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1942.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-28 14:11 EST-0500

Alright, so it's obvious that some of these parts are good and some are bad, and some are expensive and some are budget. As it is, I've bought the CPU, the Motherboard, the PSU, and the Graphics Cards today. Some of the items are really expensive, or unnecessary for immediate use. The Optical Drive, the OS, and the Headphones I already own. The rest (CPU Cooler, RAM, SSD, HDD, Case, Monitors, Wireless Adapter, Mouse, and Keyboard) are items that I'm going to buy as I go and as I get the money. I know people say that you really should buy all at once, but I'm sure this'll work out fine. Of course, I already have temporary parts I can use in place of the parts those I haven't bought yet. As for the OS I think I'm going to keep Windows 7 until Windows 10 comes out, unless Windows 8.1 actually ends up performing better than Windows 10, but that doesn't seem likely.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thanks! -Teetar

Comments

[comment deleted]
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the suggestions, I didn't think of my Graphics Card's power compared to my monitor's requirements. Maybe 60hz will be fine for me then. And I plan on playing a variety of games, but I have my eyes set on Star Citizen at the moment. I'll probably start with one monitor and then upgrade to 3 down the road. I'll also consider the cooling situation. As it is, I currently have an old CM 212 Plus, so I can probably start off with that and get a better cooler later if heating becomes an issue with OC'ing. And that'd amazing if Windows 8 upgrades to Windows 10 for free. In that case I'll be upgrading my OS ASAP as well!

Thank you very much for your input!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube