add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Opinions on an ~$2000 build?

jcsnider

62 months ago

Hi everyone,

I am relatively new to building custom rigs. I have worked on computer repair and swapping parts on home computers for years, but I have always used what I have fixed and never picked parts and build a machine for myself. I've done a little research but before I buy these parts next month I would love some input from you all.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CfrGHx

For now I want to get into casual gaming - Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, etc running on max settings with on a 1920 by 1080 display without lag.

Later on I want to experience with overclocking and SLI. I will eventually get another GTX980.

When not gaming I will probably have 1-2 virtual machines running in the background for work purposes which is why I went with the full 16GB of ram.

I wanted to avoid water cooling which made the Noctua NH-D14 look really appealing. I checked to make sure it would be compatible with my motherboard, ram, and case.

I already have the SSD and HD lying around or I woulda chose different models.

Any thoughts? Would all of this work? I want to keep the power but what items would you choose differently?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/CfrGHx

Thanks! JC

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/bn7wjX It has a six core i7 with a massive cpu cooler and 16gb of ddr4 ram and a 1000 watt psu so you can sli many cards as you want in the future

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

How does the 3.3GHz 6-Core Processor compare to the 4790k. Obviously the extra cores will be beneficial when multitasking but how does it compare when gaming?

Thanks, JC

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Its overall more powerful, and it won't cause bottlenecks for years to come.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I really like this idea. It's just so hard to see a 2k computer build if you aren't using X99 and DDR4, and it's not like the original build wasn't already using a $200 motherboard anyways. The build is certainly great, but I'd probably try and squeeze in SLI 970s or an R9 295x2.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I'd go with Win7 Pro at the least if you're thinking about going further than 16GB RAM unless you really need all that crap Ultimate offeres

Otherwise, 8.1/8.1 Pro should be much freakin cheaper and already allows for about as much RAM as Pro/Ultimate (8.1 allows up to 128GB, 8.1 Pro allows up to 512GB, both can be found for much less than Ultimate/Pro)

Example: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/microsoft-os-fqc06950

Far Cry 4, Watch Dogs, etc running on max settings with on a 1920 by 1080 display without lag

Ubisoft already apparently hates the PC market, judging on how shite their PC releases tend to be.. Don't be surprised if something runs like crap and it turns out to be from them.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I already have the license. Only real reason that I am shooting for Win7 Ultimate. (Bitlocker support is a plus.)

I understand that Ubisoft has been exceptionally bad lately. I want peace of mind knowing I have the power to run games released now and 2 years from now without the need for major hardware upgrades. If I cannot play games due to poor programming then I can deal with that.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you're getting the Noctua NH-D14, you may as well go ahead and get the newer Noctua NH-D15.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I updated the cooler, thanks for the tip!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Why do you want to avoid water cooling? The ones cosrair and the like makes are extremely easy to use and are hassle free for years and pprovides lower temperatures than air cooling

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube