add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

I would like advice on my build! Thank you!

frankismo

62 months ago

Hi everybody

I hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend. I would like to know what you guys think about my build. Is it a good one? Are there better things i could get for this money range? Is it a mistake to get some of these parts? Etc, i would like a full critique.

here is the link to the list

http://pcpartpicker.com/user/frankismo/saved/7pcypg

if for some reason that is not working here is a copy/pasted version

CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core $185.98 Motherboard MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 $87.99 Memory Patriot 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 $69.99 Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 660 3GB SuperClocked $149.99 Case Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower $48.21 Power Supply EVGA 500W ATX12V / EPS12V $32.99

im going to be using an old keyboard and mouse and hard drive also will be puttin on windows 7 or 8 idk yet. Thanks!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

So Everything in this build is pretty sweet, all I did was changed the 660 for the 270x (it is about 10% faster for a smaller price). I also changed the RAM so that you could take advantage of dual channel performance. Hope this helps.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4590 3.3GHz Quad-Core Processor $159.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard MSI H97M-G43 Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $87.99 @ Directron
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory $56.99 @ Newegg
Video Card Sapphire Radeon R9 270X 2GB Dual-X Video Card $159.99 @ Newegg
Case Rosewill REDBONE U3 ATX Mid Tower Case $48.27 @ Amazon
Power Supply EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply $43.54 @ SuperBiiz
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $556.77
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-11-30 00:07 EST-0500
  • 62 months ago
  • 1 point

what exactly is dual channel performance? i always thought the bigger the ram the better? simply because it can have more to draw on. and i like the swap with the graphic cards, however why is less ram better than more in this situation? (3gb to 2gb) and thank you for responding!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Unless you are running Multiple Monitors, you won't see a big difference due to 1GB. As for the Dual Channel, It is an optimization of RAM sticks when they are run in pairs. You get better performance than running a single stick with the same amount of Memory. Here is a video that touches on in a little. Hope this helps.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The Patriot Viper Xtreme has latency of 11 = Slow compared to most others. Plenty of memory with better/faster specs and lower costs readily available. e.g. G.SKILL F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

ok thank you, i will check those out,when dealing when dealing with latency on ram cards, is there a huge difference when it comes to a higher or lower? and thank you for responding!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

As already pointed out, it just doesn't make sense, getting CAS11 memory when CAS9 memory costs less. Another point is why is that CAS11 when just about all the others is CAS9.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Xtrem04 made a great edit on the build, I would definitely go with that. You could even save money buy getting a cheaper ASrock motherboard.

Do you live near a Micro Center? They have great CPU+mobo deals.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

ok cool, it does seem better, and actually i do!(never heard of that store either =[ ) i will check that out for sure and thank you for responding!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah, no prob. The only thing really great at micro center is the CPU+mobo deals and they'll try to suck you in to buy other stuff, so just say no unless they can price match with online prices, then rob them blind!

As far as deals are concerned, it's usually $40 off motherboard if you buy CPU+mobo together and usually the CPUs are fairly priced. I don't know if they still do, but they did say buy an AMD CPU, we'll give you a motherboard. So hopefully something like that is still going on. Check out the microcenter site, adjust the location to where you're at then look at computer parts and you'll see bundle options for AMD and intel. score!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube