add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Processor vs Video Card

bigbopper180

62 months ago

Good morning, gents. Thanks to a hefty bonus from work this year, I'll be building a new gaming rig in the next couple weeks, and this is something I've always been curious about.

All of my previous gaming builds have generally had a more expensive processor than video card(s). Something in my brain told me that the processor would need to be high end for a gaming rig. Looking at some builds on this site, I'm starting to think that assumption was incorrect and that it's better to splurge on the video card instead of the processor. If possible, I'd like some guidance on the subject. Thanks!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Generally for gaming, you want a CPU that is just good enough to not hold back your video card. Ideally, sub-$200 cards should be paired with an i3, pentium, athlon, or FX 6xxx series CPU, while $250+ GPUs should paired with higher end CPUs like an i5 or 8350.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

good video card for gaming, good CPU for editing = ]

Not that you should have a lesser CPU for a good GPU because it will bottleneck, of course

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Congrats on the bonus... weird you aren't doing like everybody else and spending that bonus on booze but hey, not everybody has their priorities straightened out! :P

My experience in the last few years is that GPUs are getting much better while CPUs are very slowly improving and the extra cores are useless (unless you do advanced rendering, video work). So as jacobs said, get a good fast CPU but nothing too crazy and spend more money on the Graphics card.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

My general rule of thumb s the the GPU should cost around £40-50 more at low end or as much at 50% extra at high end.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the input. I'll probably be doing SLI/Crossfire 2x4GB GPU's, so it sounds like a decent quad core should work fine for that.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube