add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

$800 - 970-based compromise between Manirelli's "Modes"t and "Great" Gaming Builds

Sweepstakes

62 months ago

Hi Guys,

New user here, hoping to take advantage of some sales and build a new pc around the turn of this year. I am aiming to build a new PC for around $800 that will last me 3-5 years of good gaming at 1080p. I don't plan on overclocking (primarily due to being intimidated by it), and while looking at Manirelli's Modest and Great gaming builds, I was wondering if a compromise that included a 970 would be possible. I understand his point that there is more to gain from an SSD than the marginal increase from a 290 to a 970, but I can always add an SSD at a later date. What are your guys thoughts?!? Does this build hold any promise? Should I just go with the Modest build and call it a day?

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/GB3WP6

Thanks again!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

go for it. buy the most expensive part and then work your way up.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, curlz. Are you saying this is a good build and to run with it? I'd be buying all of the above at once.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah. Once you have the 970 you can upgrade other parts along the way. You shouldn't be afraid of OCing it is very easy and allows you to pull even more performance out of the parts. its literally just a few clicks and your good to go.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You can swap out the RAM for something a little cheaper (like the G Skill Ares,) and that will free up $30 to get you closer to your budget, or you can also put that back into the build and get into a 4690k/Z97 for about a same cost and buy a CPU cooler to overclock later, or put it into a SSD and spend a little more.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $209.99 @ Newegg
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 5 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $121.98 @ Newegg
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $54.99 @ Newegg
Storage Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive $44.49 @ Amazon
Video Card Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB Video Card $339.90 @ Amazon
Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case $47.99 @ Mwave
Power Supply Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $53.99 @ Newegg
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $843.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-02 10:18 EST-0500

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube