add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Killeneminem

62 months ago

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ZFgCt6

I'm building a PC for mom this year and it will be used for virtually no gaming, a lot of streaming HD from Netflix etc., downloading 1080p videos, and internet browsing. The budget is about $500, but preferably less. Because it will be most of the day (to download in the background), it needs to be cool and as silent as possible. I put a 240GB SSD only, because I think it will be enough to store downloaded TV episodes and movies, until we watch them, and then delete them.

To keep it as quiet as possible, should I use a quiet cooler like the Noctua L9i?

When browsing, streaming, etc. would a Pentium be snappy enough, or should I stick with the i3? We really don't want it to feel sluggish.

I've never used Linux, but don't want to buy Windows. Would it be simple for my technologically-challenged mother to learn how to use Linux?

Is there any higher capacity HDD that would be quiet enough to spin unnoticed in our living room?

I look forward to your opinions on this part list. Thanks in advance!

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

bump

Really hoping for some opinions.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The Pentium Anniversary edition should be a cheaper alternative as long you supply 4GB+ ram. also, a SSD would be quiet enough. ASRock boards tend to be junk and break easily. I recommend a ASUS or Gigabyte board for daily use. Cheers

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks. I had my own bias against ASRock boards, and I love my ASUS, but I thought I was being unfair against the company. But if someone else thinks they are a cheaper company then I will reconsider.Thanks again

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube