add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Choice of Motherboards

prd
  • 67 months ago

I'm building a system with an Intel i5-4430 cpu and am now trying to purchase a Gigabyte Sniper Z87 chipset Mobo. They are getting sort of hard to find right now. Would a Gigabyte Z97 be a good replacement. I'm a newcomer and don't need any unexpected curves to get the Z97 up and running. It looks like both of these boards have onboard graphics capability which is desirable for me at this point. i know this is a litle vauge, but I'm just rying to keep it as simple as possible. I thought I read somewhere that some BIOS changes would have to be made with the Z97 and this CPU.

Thanks

Comments

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

the i5-4430 is a locked (NON-K) chip. So there is no need for you to buy a Z97 or Z87 (Z motherboards will let you overclock unlocked (K) chips). Go with an H97 motherboard. At this point of time I wouldn't consider building with a Z87 or H87. The newer H97 or Z97 will give you better upgradability as they will be compatible with intels new broadwell cpu which will come out next year. And they will not require any bios update.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks pegotico, great info for a beginner like me. I'll purchase a H97 board.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

...Gigabyte Z97...I thought I read somewhere that some BIOS changes would have to be made with the Z97 and this CPU.

List of supported processors and required BIOS update, if any, is listed at GIGABYTE website.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for this info permalink. Don't know why I hadn't thought about searching the Gigabyte site.

• 67 months ago
  • 1 point

I took your advice and will purchase a Gigabyte GA-H97-D3H board to go with a previously purchased Intel i5-4430 processor. The reviews on this board were just about all very good. I don't see any incompatibilities between these two parts.Please respond if anyone sees any problems here.

Also have: 2 x 4gb of Corsair Vengance memory . Corsair 400R ATX case Corsair Builder 600W PSU a solid state drive and a 1 TB 7200 rpm drive Windows Pro 64 bit operating system

Thanks a lot for helping me through this.Your help is much appreciated.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube