add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Pre-built custom rig new owner looking for upgrade on video card- Jon Snow

rektdmyself

62 months ago

Title + Last minute help needed in case i can get a good card with the cyber monday deals going on.

I've had this setup for a few years now and i got it considerably cheaper than it cost to build, but lately the graphics have been lackluster so i researched the card I had and decided that i could upgrade it, the only problem is that my hardware knowledge is equally lackluster so i have no idea if a video card of my choosing will be compatible with the motherboard (an asus sabertooth x58) and if it's only compatible while a certain type of card would actually excel vs a higher tier card. My power supply, I believe is very large, and it's liquid cooled. I have no idea how to overclock, or if I need to, so i might try to stay away from that? unless it's more simple than I imagine and i'm being timid.

The specs that I've managed to find being computer illiterate -Intel I7 960 3.20 3.20 -AMD HD Radeon 5700 graphics -Asus Sabertooth x58 motherboard (http://www.pc-specs.com/mobo/Asus/Asus_SABERTOOTH_X58/27)

The things I do know, the motherboard seems to be compatible with any graphics card(which is why i need help getting a good one) and it has 2 PCIe x16 slots and it should get something that fits the PCIe v2.x because it can't do better and shouldn't do worse. The rest of my computer specs, of which i have no idea what ones i need to show, are all of decent to high quality. i dont think memory or ram should be a problem?

My price range is anywhere under 400, but i'm shooting for the 200-300 range. Any input would be greatly appreciated! The only one I think might work came off of the decent gaming rig on the front page, the https://pcpartpicker.com/part/pny-video-card-vcggtx9704xpb

I know nothing, best regards, -Jon Snow

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I would recommend a gigabyte gtx 970 but be beware your cpu will be a bottle neck.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Pick up a AMD R9 290X, it's a $300 card atm. Grab while you can. I just bought the R9 270X but the 290X was just slightly out of my price range.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube