add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

First time builder - mid range gaming/editing mITX

clatterslikeworry

62 months ago

Hi all – have been surviving on a five year old Dell XPS1530 laptop for a while now and it's well past time for an upgrade. I've never built a PC before but after doing some research it seems like it's the most cost-effective way to meet all my requirements, which are:

• Able to play modern games at mid-range settings at 1080p
  • Able to do occasional photo editing
  • Small form factor
  • Around or under $1000

I've put together the following:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4460 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor $219.00 @ Centre Com
Motherboard ASRock H97M-ITX/AC Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard $125.00 @ CPL Online
Memory G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory $97.00 @ IJK
Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive $85.00 @ IJK
Video Card Galaxy GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card $229.00 @ CPL Online
Case Cooler Master Elite 130 Mini ITX Tower Case $52.00 @ CPL Online
Power Supply Corsair CX 430W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply $69.00 @ CPL Online
Optical Drive LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer $19.00 @ CPL Online
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $895.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-02 22:00 EST+1100

I originally went with the Silverstone SG05 but have moved to the Coolermaster + Corsair to save a few bucks (on case and not having to buy a slimline optical drive) and upgrade the 750Ti I originally had to the 760.

Thoughts?

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

try getting at a least a 500 watts psu, a better efficient 450 watts could do it but the cx series is going to be around the three hundreds...

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd increase the power supply to at least a 550 and gold cert. You're also going to need another hdd to store your photos on or that 120gb ssd is going to fill up quick. are you in the US?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm in Australia :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry, forgot to say I already have an external HDD.

The site is saying the system will draw just under 300W, is a 500W PSU really necessary?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The 500W PSU is necessary, I was given the same advice for my gaming build and it is defiantly worth the extra few bucks.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sorry its taken me so long to get back to you. For that card the extra wattage is necessary. It's one of the draw backs with going to a 760 instead of using the 750 but the 760 is well worth the money spent over the 750. Its almost twice the card for a little bit more money

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks mate, appreciate the advice.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube