add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Mom here, which parts list for 14 year old's first build christmas

heliosdiem

62 months ago

I made three lists, one i took right off a certain subreddit. I have no idea what i am doing. We will use an hdtv for the monitor. I think if you click my name, you will find them in my profile. Sorry, I couldn't figure out how to cut and paste with this Vita. Your input is greatly appreciated.

it will be used mostly for gaming. i would like to encourage him to explore outside of console gaming. We have been a PS family and he is eyeballing the PS4 and even the xbox one.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

Hey I checked out your builds and I like the direction you are going in.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/PLRHrH

I took one build and tweaked it a bit. for gaming you are going to want 8GB of RAM. 4GB is pretty low and can cause issues even more so if applications are open in the background.

I love the FX 6300 for lower budget builds as it is a nice CPU.

the R9 270 will be a great addition to the build giving it some really nice performance in games and should play every game on the market, but maybe not at max settings.

One thing I would add personally is an SSD, but this is just a nice touch as the PC will boot very quickly.

I also moved the Case to a Micro tower since you had a microATX board. this will make the PC smaller and more compact which will hinder if you plan to upgrade the machine, but considering his age and the budget I think this is fine.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for your help! That is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know. I am hoping he will see how flexible the PC is, and if he wants a bigger case, he can get one later.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

i would change some parts such as the graphic card and the cpu.What'll be the point of the pc ? Gaming,Working ?

send me a message if you want some advice

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

gaming, mostly.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

that's a tight budget....ok i'll see what i can fit in that much money

here:http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fdhB4D

can't do much more. :D

• 62 months ago
  • 3 points

I removed your extra stick of RAM. you had one random one I believe you forgot to delete.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/NjrWP6

nice build.

• 62 months ago
  • 0 points

look foe a graphics card on ebay i got the r9 270x windforce for 110

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

You shouldn't buy a video card from ebay with possibly no warranty unless you are the most extremel budget which she isn't.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

It depends on the seller. The seller i got mine from has been on ebay for years and had no negative feed back

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you. I have seen these two messages before. Are they important?:

Enermax OSTROG ATX Mid Tower Case has front panel USB 3.0 ports, but the Biostar TA970 ATX AM3+ Motherboard does not have onboard USB 3.0 headers. Some AMD 970 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vishera CPUs.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Not really. its stating the case has USB 3.0 on the front, but the Motherboard does not support it.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Hot damn.you need to change the motherboard to have usb 3.0. So sorry That i missed that

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2qZrWZ Get a windows key from g2a.com, I'll pm you more information/help later Do you need a keyboard and mouse? If so use this http://pcpartpicker.com/p/hcpNWZ It will run any games he decides to play and has room for expansion for later on

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks so much. I'm not worried about the operating system, monitor, keyboard or mouse. I have all that already. You do bring up a good point with the network--I have a cable at the location already, I don't need a wireless adapter. Do I still need a network card to plug the ethernet cable into, though? That is the kind of stuff I don't want to forget about. Also, the cord from the pc to the sony bravia hdtv? will that have a slot to plug it into? what kind of slot will that be?

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

No you don't need a wired network card , the motherboard already has a ethernet port for it and the tv cord ( HDMI) will plug directly into the back of the video card

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

Just throwing out my $0.02

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/HhQB4D

CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.5GHz 6-Core Processor ($84.99 @ Amazon) Motherboard: MSI 970A-G43 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($55.67 @ Newegg) Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg) Storage: Crucial M500 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($79.99 @ Amazon) Video Card: PowerColor Radeon R9 280 3GB TurboDuo Video Card ($159.99 @ Newegg) Case: Thermaltake Commander G41 ATX Mid Tower Case ($34.80 @ Newegg) Power Supply: Corsair CSM 550W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($46.22 @ Newegg) Total: $519.14

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

in what budget ?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

i was shooting for the price of a ps4, but i thnk my max is $500

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The FX6300 and R9 270X is probably the best for this price range. Nothing else will really matter at this stage. Just use the cheapest parts that are considered reliable for the rest of the build.

Try going.. CPU: AMD FX-6300 GPU: AMD R9 270X Motherboard: Cheapest that supports 1600MHz RAM (and supports 3.0 USB if you can) RAM: 4GBs 1600MHz Cas 11 Storage: 500GB HDD or 240GB SSD PSU: 500W 80+ (bronze if you can afford) Optical Drive: Cheapest DVD-RW in your area Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower#

It will be right round the $500 area. This is what i go a few days ago and people seem to approve when i suggest it. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/D4YwjX

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Semi-Final? build: Parts Are Compatible: No issues/incompatibilities found.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

I would definately save cost on the case and get the solid and reliable Corsair 200R and upgrade the GPU to a R9 290 with the money saved. The 290 is the dream for a build like this. Thats 290 though, not 290X. 290X is a waste of money for what you get.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I know the case is a bit much. I will take a look. Thanks!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Another option is to upgrade to the FX 8350.. the higher end cpu for this price range for about $30 more (I hope i got that right, im british)..which is pretty amazing.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube