add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Christmas Build for Brother

SargAlas

62 months ago

Build: http://pcpartpicker.com/user/SargAlas/saved/wLhYcf

Well, This is my final (Hopefully, spent 5 hours looking at so many parts) build for my Christmas gift to my brother.

I was trying my best to remain under the 900$ mark, but maintain an easy 1080p 60FPS gaming experience.

If anyone can suggest cheaper, reliable replacement to any part of the build that will lower the price to just 850, I might even throw a keyboard in along with it.

Thanks for your opinions in advance! :D

EDIT: Keep in mind, future expansion of case, and possibly SLI is possible.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Are you dead set on intel or are you open to the higher end AMDs?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Well, I'm open to anything. That i5 was highly recommended for me, and considering it's current price, I found it to be a deal. I was suggested other AMD processors, but I believe this one stood out.

What do you have in mind?

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fT4wjX

Just buy another 290 for Crossfire (AMD version of SLI) the PSU has this in mind.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

and maybe as many fans as you wanna spend on... the case already comes with 2, but 1-2 more are recomended with Crossfire.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

The Cooler Master case has to stay, for portability reasons.

My brother is a hater of AMD cards, especially after the Mantle flop.

Plus, I don't think the 290 is a match for the 970, esp in power and heat, and with many new games being NVIDIA optimized, its the safer choice.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Mantle is really new.. definately not a flop..it has real potential. As for the R9 290 vs R9 270x...um theres no comparison... the 290 is AMDs best card at the moment. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3oE-5dGTKc&list=PL06C2CE4870311D6F&index=11

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Kingston SSDNow V300 Series: Does not have a good reputation among many. AnandTech

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That Article is almost 9 months old. The GTX 770 would be the best bang for bucks, a'lot changes, esp in Tech.

I only need it for the system and possibly a game of his choice, nothing more. Since i'm paying less for it, I'm expecting a less performance, but not that significant.

Still, Thanks for your Input, I will make sure to post pictures once the Build is completed :D

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

That Article is almost 9 months old...

Even if it is years old, since there has been no change except excuses from Kingston, still applicable. Good luck with your build.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Your motherboard doesn't support any SLI or crossfire so that's out of the case unless you upgrade that. The CPU and GPU are both very strong and cost efficient for what they are and should last you a while.

I'd recommend finding 2x4gb sticks of RAM. 16gb is definitely overkill and isn't needed currently. That could say you $20-30.

Other than that I think you're okay. Just bear in mind that with a mini-ITX mobo that you're gonna be limited to 1 GPU.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm just aiming for a solid GPU and CPU here, with no overclocking at mind.

For ram, I'm still looking for something cheap, but no luck.

Also, I think I might have went a bit overboard with the motherboard, and wondering if there is something less pricey, but can keep up with the mobo and GPU effectively.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube