add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

New to the site and subreddit, looking for some advice please.

Supernewt

62 months ago

Hey all,

hope you are well this cold December afternoon (alteast for me its cold), i wanted to ask for some help with a rig i am building. Im really keen to get into 4K gaming, and on top of this im a rather invested backer of Star Citizen and want to ensure i am more than able to play this game as high as possible. Therefore i have created a list that i feel will accomplish this for me, however what im unsure about is possible redundancy of parts, my aim of this machine will be to play games, alot! and perhaps stream and do some video editing as well though i dont think the editing will be too time sensitive so i dont need to worry too much about spead of redering etc...do i?

Anyway here is the link (i assume i just post the perma link): http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/user/Supernewt/saved/TWVLrH

At this price its simply too much so i could do with reducing it as much as possible and cut out the redundancy though i keep reading about the need for quality parts, i hope you guys can help me.

Newt

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

yeah easily to lower the price and not hit performance to much. .

first you can remove the 1TB SSD. you can easily use a 256GB and install a few games on the SSD and the rest on the 2TB HDD.

Unless your OCing you can remove the CPU Cooler to help reduce cost.

lastly which will hit performance for sure, but reduce price a LOT is going to a 4770K, something like this. http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/qXJPYJ

if you want to go cheaper you could go with an AMD CPU and save even more but then your taking more hits to performance.

Streaming really just asks for more RAM (normally you need 8GB, when streaming I recommend 16GB for some overhead) It also tends to perform best on multi-cores.

you can run 1 980 now and add SLI later to help reduce the strain from the purchase, but note that on really high end games you may suffer under 40 FPS.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/22025/guide-to-can-my-pc-laptop-run-star-citizen

After skimming through the forums a bit It looks like you will want the higher end cards. with launch date so far away you could save longer and wait for the next gen cards early next year.

Totally forgot about this game, going to look into it now. Thanks for reminding me.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you for your reply, yes thats actually not a bad idea to wait for the GPU thinking about it i dont actually need it right now. Same as the SSD i think my original thought was that it was not too much more expencive than a 500gb, but i will look into that.

As for star citizen im very happy to have reminded you, there is a nice recent made fan trailer which shows off alot of the recent visuals etc nicely here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Mxidzlagp0

Enjoy and thanks again for the advice :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah it looks very high end and I am all for having a BA computer, but your investing a lot of money into a build for a game that is not released. I personally (assuming this game is like my best dream) would wait until closer launch date to purchase the best equipment then.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Here is my revised list for your build

I personally think you get hosed buying the latest and best new parts... there is always a premium for the most recent part so I downgraded a few of your parts and i doubt the difference will be visible.

It looks to me like you were also trying to future proof your build but unfortunately, I rarely think that works past 2-3 years so what I like to recommend is to keep some of your budget in reserve in a "part upgrade" fund and then this build which can be easily upgraded can be the base for your main computer for a long time.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

well the price difference is definatly visible thank you very much. Im ok to upgrade later your right i was trying to future proof but in ways i think its better just to hold off and upgrade later as you mentioned.

Its good to know i can atleast keep the GPU's though maybe i start with one and stick to 1080p gaming in the mean time, that also means i can hold off on the monitor as well.

Thanks again for taking the time to reply :)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube