add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
HiddenPerson

62 months ago

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor $179.99 @ Micro Center
Motherboard ASRock Z97 EXTREME4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard $142.99 @ SuperBiiz
Memory A-Data XPG V1.0 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory Purchased For $144.99
Storage A-Data Premier Pro SP600 64GB 2.5" Solid State Drive Purchased For $44.99
Storage Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive Purchased For $53.99
Video Card PNY GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card $549.98 @ NCIX US
Case Rosewill Galaxy-02 ATX Mid Tower Case Purchased For $39.99
Power Supply SeaSonic 750W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply $99.99 @ Newegg
Operating System Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) Purchased For $84.99
Wireless Network Adapter TRENDnet TEW-805UB 802.11a/b/g/n/ac USB 3.0 Wi-Fi Adapter Purchased For $26.99
Case Fan Noctua NF-A14 FLX 68.0 CFM 140mm Fan $21.94 @ OutletPC
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1390.83
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-03 14:03 EST-0500

I was dumb a few months back, so I purchased some of these parts already (I could of used with more SSD memory and a better case, but alas). This is a gaming build. Getting the extra case fan to ensure the pc stays cool, and this is a overclocking build but I won't be overclocking for a year at least, whenever I need to, so no cpu cooler, unless I should get one. Is this good or should I make more changes?

I can provide any info as necessary.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You should get a CPU cooler, I would, at least. Even if not overclocking for a while, if you have the budget for it there's little reason not to pick it up right now. Looks good, what don't you like about the case? :)

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Honestly the case is fine, just my friends keep telling me it was a mistake. I'm quite a noob with this stuff so. As for the cpu cooler, I sadly can not get one because my budget is $1400. Someone online told me that it isn't a big deal putting it in later. It would be nice to have, since it is nicer than the stock for sure, but oh well.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

If you change to the Pro4 or Z97 Anniversary instead of Extreme4, you could afford the CM 212 EVO cooler...just depends on whether you plan to SLI later and since you're getting a single 980 I'm guessing not.

Also, the XFX 750W XTR PSU is just as good as that Seasonic and it's fully modular and same price.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

I do plan to do SLI later, just when I get more money to spend and I think it is time to do so. The Pro4 is a decent motherboard, however. How come it can only support one graphics card even though it is an ATX board?

The PSU seems nice, might use that instead, even though it goes a few dollars above budget.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Oh, sorry I didn't see that the XFX was only same price after rebate.

It's not that the Pro4 only supports one GPU, it's just that it only supports Crossfire (AMD-based), not SLI (Nvidia). That's probably where some of the cost savings comes from.

• 62 months ago
  • 2 points

ah. I didn't see that, that makes sense.

I don't have rebates on, but I don't mind doing the rebate, so I probably will change to this PSU.

Thanks for the help!

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure thing...good luck with the build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube