add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
poisonbl

62 months ago

So, I'm in the process of piecing together a future proofed, portable, water cooled build, with a long term goal of picking up a broadwell chip later next year. The motherboard's a side effect of finding the EK whole board waterblock available, for it, and yes the fans are overkill. So far, this is where I stand:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

Type Item Price
CPU Intel Pentium G3258 3.2GHz Dual-Core Processor Purchased For $70.98
Thermal Compound Arctic Silver 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste Purchased For $6.99
Motherboard Asus MAXIMUS VII IMPACT Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard Purchased For $239.00
Memory G.Skill Sniper Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-2133 Memory Purchased For $124.99
Storage *Transcend MTS800 256GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive $120.77 @ Newegg
Video Card EVGA GeForce GTX 980 4GB Video Card $608.99 @ B&H
Case EVGA Hadron Hydro Mini ITX Tower Case w/500W Power Supply Purchased For $111.98
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fan $26.48 @ Amazon
Case Fan Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-3000 PWM 109.9 CFM 120mm Fan $26.48 @ Amazon
Other EK Geforce GTX 980 VGA Liquid Cooling Block - Acetal (EK-FC980 GTX - Acetal) $115.99
Other EK DCP 4.0 X-Res Pump Reservoir Attachment w/ PWM Pump (EK-XRES DCP 4.0 PWM (incl. pump)) $112.99
Other 8x Koolance 3/8" x 1/2" (10mm x 13mm) G 1/4 Threaded Compression Nozzle - Black (NZL-V10-BK) $47.92
Other 10ft Tygon A-60-G Norprene 3/8" ID (1/2" OD) - Industrial Grade Thermoplastic Elastomer Tubing $17.50
Other DeepCool 4 Port PWM Fan Hub - (4 x 4-Pin PWM) $16.99
Other ModRight Premium Filter Material - Class A+ Super High Density (1 Meter x 2 Meter) $18.99
Other EK High Performance CoolStream 240 PE Series Liquid Cooling Radiator (EK-CoolStream PE 240 (Dual)) $59.99
Other EK ASUS Maximus VI Impact Full Board Cooling Block Kit - Acetal (EK-FB ASUS M6I - Acetal) Purchased For $127.04
Total
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available $1854.07
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-12-04 23:54 EST-0500

The bulk of its workload will be gaming (including travelling with me for said gaming, notably to show off Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen, someday), but when it's home on the desk it'll also be running VMs (held on network storage), and generally being my primary do-everything system across three monitors.

Any commentary, opinions, etc. and anything I'm overlooking in it? Also, any tips on pci-e compatible m.2 drives, since nowhere seems to have a good listing of price-friendly options, let alone a half decent search function for them? (the VII Impact board's pci-e only there, no sata bus tie-in). Also, any recommendations for a name for it? (the misspelled hadron joke's just too overdone)

EDIT: Updated after a couple purchases. When the cpu and mobo come in, I'll get it up and running on air for some (ab)use and stress/stability testing for a bit, and went ahead and snagged the water block while it was in stock. After a bit of testing, the PSU'll be out for a clean paracord dress-up while I wait for the 980 to miraculously drop in price a bit (and, well, at least another payday). Still looking to hear something from anyone with any hints on m.2 drives, since they're about as clear as the previous iterations of msata/mini-pcie were with regards to compatibility.

Comments

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

bump for update, and to fend off the deafening silence. Also, since I apparently failed to note it, prices for the 'Other' subsection there's entirely FrozenCPU based.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

You will most likely find quite a bottle neck using a 980 with that cpu. Core i5 is minimum to get the best out of it. Plus i doubt you'll see a major performance boost with Broadwell over the current Devil's Canyon chips. I suspect the case fans you've picked will be loud with the amount of air they are pushing and probably not needed, you should go for 50-70 CFM. For radiators remember static pressure is more important than massive airflow.

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, I expect the bottleneck for now with the CPU. It was a bit of a tradeoff for keeping the price there reasonable, building sooner rather than later, leaving the Broadwell option open down the line, while still giving me the amusement of OCing that chip into oblivion between now and then. If the DC->BW improvements are as lackluster as what Haswell brought with it, I'll just go with a (hopefully slightly price cut) i5-4690k or i7-4790k.

As for the fans, yeah... $50 in fans is a bit silly, too... and the airflow/static pressure needed's really entirely dependent on the radiator choice, so I suppose I ought to get around to templating out what I have room to do to the top of that case to put a non-evga radiator in (since I aim to keep the water lines entirely within the case).

Thanks for the tips! (notably the rough CFM range to shoot for).

• 62 months ago
  • 1 point

No problem. Hope you have fun building and testing. I know i did when i built mine. You won't regret getting lower powered fans. I made the mistake of going for massive airflow and am paying in noise levels. Its not unbearable but i do wish it was quieter. 4690k is a nice CPU, i have one and it OC's well. 4.3ghz at 1.125 volts and decent temps of low 50's while gaming. One bit of advice, don't use Prime95 for testing as it is very intensive and will make you think something is wrong when temps soar.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube